M9L34889 Frame Number

Have you got anything other than just the number as a starting point?
Might help if you can narrow it down any further - eg - do you know which country it's most likely from or even which decade? What it's made from?
Where is the serial no - eg - under bb & if so where specifically - or say on fork crown or one of rear stays?
Are there any other markings or logos under bb or anywhere else?
Have you got any photos, inc whole bike + details of lugs, bridges, seat stay caps or anything at all that looks distinctive?

Just assuming the Tour of Britain sticker was relevant - I know at least 3 brands did 'ToB' bikes - Jack Taylor (numbers only, 4 digits rear stay), Viking (I think also numbers only & 3 digits) & then BSA who did mix numbers & letters but not sure what format & possibly had 2 different numbers...
Then again, the sticker may not be relevant at all!

photoman125":19iyk67w said:
Now BSA is one I haven't checked :)

I doubt it's a BSA of the era it would appear to be. They were Carlton/Raleigh clones by then.

I've got a feeling the stickers may be a red herring, just put on when the paint job was. The bike originally would have had 2 tone red/chrome or even all chrome forks. The frame has always been red though.

It seems that you need to have an idea who the maker could be & then see if their serial no sequence matches rather than the other way round & starting with the serial no. There have just been too many makes over the years to make it possible.
Or have a stroke of luck & find someone who happens to have a bike with a close match to yours.

I've been looking at loads of numbers trying to i-d my own bike with very little success at the mo. (3 digit numbers, most likely 531c from 80's/90's British builder) but will do my own post on that with some pics some time rather than hijack this!

So back to yours - isn't it logical that a long-ish number that also requires prefix letters would be a fairly big volume producer? I've noticed though that a lot of Raleigh & Puch numbers are numbers only, even if quite long...

Just stumbled on this quite by accident:
http://classicrendezvous.com/British_is ... gistry.htm
After Harry Quinn retired some time around the 80's, some Falcon/Townsends were badged as Harry Quinns with the serial no sequence: 'M-number-letter-5numbers'.
Seems fairly close.

Still no closer on mine though... Anyone know any names of small frame builders in Lancs c.1990 other than Terry Dolan or Keith Coppell?

Latest posts

Back