No 98+ BOTM yet this year?

I don't necessarily see a need for a 98+ BotM, as 98+ has no real soul or meaningful raison d'etre - it was only created to house material that might spoil the main section. I can see a point in a pre-97 BotM, as ideally you might have an entry of a rare old bike that's been lovingly and tastefully restored to a very desirable state and that would be a deserving winner. But what is the equivalent with modern bikes, where there is a plentiful supply? The winning entrant with the most desirable bike could just be the one with the most money to slap on the counter at his LBS. So what? But anyway, in reality it seems that most months the 98+ BotM is won a by a 1998 bike, which seems a bit lame really.

I'm building a 2003 Rocky Mountain Vertex Team Scandium, but it wouldn't occur to me to enter it into 98+ BotM. I'm building it with mainly 2003 parts, but not to original spec as I can't afford full XTR, I don't like Spinergy wheels etc. Historically it'll be fairly period-correct, but I'm doing it just for myself and my own interest - to build a good bike for not much money. I wouldn't expect anybody on here to be interested as it isn't retro, but it isn't modern either. I doubt whether I'd show it anywhere on Retrobike, just possibly in 'Show us your RMs' in the main forum, but not in 98+ BotM.

I disagree. There are some great bikes in the 98 onwards section...the recent Schwinn was ace. Although I will temper this statement by saying that such builds are a lot less common on this bit if the forum.

Personally, I'm in no mans land because really old bikes don't float my bike because I didn't start riding until '97 but I like modern(ish) technology. I do have an old Cannondale that needs a new lease of life, but it wouldn't be built to period spec.

I think we should keep it, the 1998--> section needs support as rightly so most people here are into the -->1997. For me I love retrobikes but find myself riding more modern these days, no biggy but people can go to just as much effort building modern bikes even if parts are more easily available.

98+ let's the later custom Ti and steel steeds be shown off. They obviously don't fall into proper retro territory but neither are they made of plastic and have 6" of travel at both ends! But, I agree that there is probably not enough of these builds to continue with a monthly 98+BOTM, quarterly gets my vote (if I'm allowed one).

Back