spd s with 1/2" thread ?

ive tried putting verneer gauge in the pedal holes in both my cranks it reads 14mm in the xtr an 12mm in my sugino crank (this takes 9/16 pedals)

i have just found the bottom bracket bolt for the xtr bb actually fits ( screws in) the pedal thread too

acording to google an 1/2 plumbing pipe has an od of 15.8mm so the logical explaination is 1/2 pedals will fit these cranks

dan28":1dtz00v5 said:
ive tried putting verneer gauge in the pedal holes in both my cranks it reads 14mm in the xtr an 12mm in my sugino crank (this takes 9/16 pedals)

i have just found the bottom bracket bolt for the xtr bb actually fits ( screws in) the pedal thread too

acording to google an 1/2 plumbing pipe has an od of 15.8mm so the logical explaination is 1/2 pedals will fit these cranks

As Stevet1 said earlier, 9/16" is larger than 1/2", so if a standard pedal rattles around, a 1/2" will be even rattlier!

1/2" OD plumbing pipe... OD means Outside Diameter... doesn't really help.

Throw up a picture of the thread/crank.

As everyone's said:

- XTR cranks have always had standard 9/16" threads.

- 1/2" (12.7mm) is smaller than 9/16" (just under 14.3mm): if 9/16" rattles so will 1/2", but more so.

An XTR Octalink crank bolt is M15. Threaded parts are measured over the external diameter of the male part, so in measuring the female threads in your cranks, you need to allow for twice the thread depth.

It's possible that your 952 cranks have had a helicoil insert repair at some point, and the helicoils came out with the pedals before the cranks were sold to you.

Pictures will help, as will accurate measurements. If you need new helicoils, a good bike shop should have them, and they're cheaper than new pedals.

do any bikeshops in the leeds area have a helicoil service
i ve asked in a few but cant find anyone that does it

these cranks havent been helicoiled before the hole in the crank arm is not large enough for helicoil + pedal axle
took them to another bikeshop today but they dont do helicoils either

now sorted
both cranks retapped with a rh thread (good job i had a matching pair of pedals) timeserts installed an locitted in

Back