Crows, anyone else hate 'em

We used to live in a cottage which had 3 pairs of magpies nesting in close proximity - if you think the rooks are bad, you've never heard 2 male magpies having a face-off. The jays, woodpeckers, goshawks and nesting tawny owls more than made up for it, though. Damn, I REALLY miss that house... :cry:

Round our way the crows, or is that rooks, have to compete with the multitude of red kites. There are frequent aerial battles which the kites don't always win.

Andy

bulldozer over the crows (rooks?) land and build a motorway. I'll swap you the incessant noise of the M25 for the rooks (I think!)

Country girl too, but I have an inherent dislike of the Corvid family, especially Magpies because of the damage I've seen them do to the small bird population. When I lived on a farm, they would sus out the smaller birds nests, then wait until the youngsters were big enough to make a meal, and raid the nests.

Like any other animal without a natural predator they need the populations keeping under control, though you have to admire the way nature in general takes advantage of every opportunity - survival of the fittest in action. It's us as a species that has really b*ggered up the natural balance....

Back