Does anyone have a Vauxhall VXR8?

B77":1it6it3p said:
Seems a lot of people on this site don't seem to care about polution or the environmental merits of cycling

I cycle most places and so only drive my Subaru Legacy 3.0R about 3000 miles a year. If I hadn't bought it someone else would have, and they would liklely do 10,000 miles a year in it. So by me owning it I am saving the environment ;) :D

GT-Steve":25aawv67 said:
We should infact be looking at public transport, freight etc. that have the heaviest use to polution ratio.

just my opinion.

Not true....

80 people on a bus or 200people on a train (diesel or electric) is always going to be more resource efficient than 80-200 cars
Freight on the other hand, needs to get off the road and back on the rail where it belongs

Back on topic.....
I am one of lifes little quarks.... an eco petrol head.... and I say DO IT!

G

unkleGsif":326c085d said:
GT-Steve":326c085d said:
We should infact be looking at public transport, freight etc. that have the heaviest use to polution ratio.

just my opinion.

Not true....

80 people on a bus or 200people on a train (diesel or electric) is always going to be more resource efficient than 80-200 cars
Freight on the other hand, needs to get off the road and back on the rail where it belongs

G

How many grams per kilometer of pollution tho?

Your comparison should really add all the statistics. And how many buses up and down the country run almost empty? And how many miles a year do they cover compared to a performance car?

who cares? We are still technically in an ice age, so the planet is warming up anyway. I worked in freight, I've traveled the world. When I was working, I drove 20k miles a year, my wife does too. My dad works in the oil industry. I have a huge carbon footprint, and I don't care.

If you want it, go for it I say

Firstly I'll call you a lucky b4stard for being able to spend that much on a car, I'm not jelous :oops:

But as the daughter of a strong environmentalist, who drove her beliefs into me from a very early age, I have to say........................GO for it, you only live once :D

Alison

GT-Steve":1hh4050y said:
unkleGsif":1hh4050y said:
GT-Steve":1hh4050y said:

just my opinion.

Not true....

G

How many grams per kilometer of pollution tho?

Your comparison should really add all the statistics. And how many buses up and down the country run almost empty? And how many miles a year do they cover compared to a performance car?

It was hardly a comparison..... merely picking up from your comparison ;)

If you really want to know, the information is out there and you can find it for yourself
I on the other hand, have a day job running the Environmental Department of the manufacturing company I work for. I have environmental impact audits to finish, an staff trainng course to prepare for, and several new products from suppliers to assess... all with a view to continue being the "greenest in our sector", as we have done for the past 10 years

G

GT-Steve":1bvufld1 said:
B77":1bvufld1 said:
What is the point unless you do track days ? The UK isn't the best place to live in if you want a car that has any kind of performance whatsoever. Seems a lot of people on this site don't seem to care about polution or the environmental merits of cycling, just seems to be a lot of cock waving about biggest and best or shiniest Klein.
Apologoes if this seems negative but why have a car you can't use to it's full potential ?

more a case of hobby, interest, passion or dreams, maybe? If you work your ass off, why not spend your money on something you're going to get enjoyment out of, doesn't have to be interpritted as dick waving? Not many of us get to use our bikes to their full potential either.

And as for pollution, modern high performance cars are far more environmentally friendly and aware, than a conventional family car was 20-40 years ago. We should infact be looking at public transport, freight etc. that have the heaviest use to polution ratio.

just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't go for it but I just don't see the point in having a car or motorbike that can hit 3 times the speed limit and not be able to use it, it's like the guys at trail centres with full on dh machines with 8" travel, what's the point ? There are cameras everywhere and the roads are full of traffic and most trail centres do not have full on balls out dh sections.....I suppose it's like garage queens, I just don't get it.
I'm lucky enough to live where I can use my dh bikes at close to their design maximum and drive my remapped TT quattro around stupidly twisty mountain roads where the speed limit is quite hard reach but it's a lot of fun trying, there are no speed cameras and the motorways are empty. If I were to live in the UK I'd have the Vito, the Gemini and one rigid retro kona, stuff the long travel dh machines, there are very very few places they can be used.
As for the eco angle, one or two eople driving hideously uneconomical cars is absolutely nothing compared to the queues and queues of stationary cars sat in traffic kjams with the engine running and one person in the car. The UK system is designed to make public transport unviable for many people, in europe they seem to have it right, many people only drive the car at weekends and most secondhand motoyrs have a lot less than 70,000 miles on the clock,, few people commute in a car to work more than 20km and if you were to tell someone you regularly drove your car 140 miles each day just to work and back they'd think you were insane.......

B77":qo361rxp said:
GT-Steve":qo361rxp said:
B77":qo361rxp said:
What is the point unless you do track days ? The UK isn't the best place to live in if you want a car that has any kind of performance whatsoever. Seems a lot of people on this site don't seem to care about polution or the environmental merits of cycling, just seems to be a lot of cock waving about biggest and best or shiniest Klein.
Apologoes if this seems negative but why have a car you can't use to it's full potential ?

more a case of hobby, interest, passion or dreams, maybe? If you work your ass off, why not spend your money on something you're going to get enjoyment out of, doesn't have to be interpritted as dick waving? Not many of us get to use our bikes to their full potential either.

And as for pollution, modern high performance cars are far more environmentally friendly and aware, than a conventional family car was 20-40 years ago. We should infact be looking at public transport, freight etc. that have the heaviest use to polution ratio.

just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't go for it but I just don't see the point in having a car or motorbike that can hit 3 times the speed limit and not be able to use it, it's like the guys at trail centres with full on dh machines with 8" travel, what's the point ? There are cameras everywhere and the roads are full of traffic and most trail centres do not have full on balls out dh sections.....I suppose it's like garage queens, I just don't get it.
I'm lucky enough to live where I can use my dh bikes at close to their design maximum and drive my remapped TT quattro around stupidly twisty mountain roads where the speed limit is quite hard reach but it's a lot of fun trying, there are no speed cameras and the motorways are empty. If I were to live in the UK I'd have the Vito, the Gemini and one rigid retro kona, stuff the long travel dh machines, there are very very few places they can be used.
As for the eco angle, one or two eople driving hideously uneconomical cars is absolutely nothing compared to the queues and queues of stationary cars sat in traffic kjams with the engine running and one person in the car. The UK system is designed to make public transport unviable for many people, in europethey seem to have it right, few people commute in a car to work more than 20km and if you were to tell someone you regularly drove your car 140 miles each day just to work and back they'd think you were insane.......

Isn't the whole point of owning a sporty car is to say I'm of the lucky chosen few and your not, rather than actually do something as crazy as drive it like it can, you might scratch the paintwork doing so :D

Alison

Dunno I treat mine like ginger haired stepchild, if it gets scratched or ends up on it's roof,fcuk it, it's just a car.

Two guys on the Evo (magazine not car) forum own and run the VXR8 as a day to day car. They seem to have earned high praise from a forum that usually only applauds fast BM's and Porkers.

Carl.

Back