Is it me or is it his youth

FSR-Si":24kglx5u said:
lewis1641":24kglx5u said:
drinking more than the government say you are supposed to doesnt make you an alcoholic

Totally agree!

True, you have to have a physical dependancy to alcohol to be an alcoholic, such that your body goes into crisis if you don't supply it with booze.

Things to consider - if family members are concerned about how much you drink, then give it some consideration. As much as anything else, it may be that you seem different when you've had some booze.

Also, the recommendations on units, probably reasonable guidelines, but I'm not convinced there's much in the way of robust science behind them. Maybe I'm cynical, but I'm inclined to think it's posturing, as much as anything else.

Personally, I rarely drink - I suppose for a few reasons, from an early age, I never really got into going down the boozer and downing pints; as a younger guy, I was always pretty determined to be in shape; I hate being hungover; truth be told, there's not many alcoholic drinks I truly like - in terms of wine, I'd probably only tolerate champers; I've also seen the damage it can do to people - both physically, and psychologically - and sometimes maybe feel some guilt that maybe I should have done something - or at least said something. There's plenty of illnesses and disease that are directly attributable to regular drinking - or at least significantly contributed to, that some quite possibly don't realise.

I'm not preachy about it - to a certain degree, so long as it's not harming / hurting anybody else, I'm all for freedom. But when you're in a family, you're not just some rock or an island on your own, with no consequence to anybody else.

And just in case you are harbouring and delusions - and in fairness, many people do about their drinking - how much, what, and why - consider this - if it's not any kind of dependency - if you could truly give up any time, then consider just taking a break - say a week, 2 weeks or a month even - just to prove you can and it's not an issue.

If you're son objects, sometimes that's just how kids are - parents aren't supposed to have a life or any enjoyment for themselves - but maybe talk to him - see what bothers him about it?

Back