Do we need fat tyres?

Cyclocross doesn't usually take place on such rocky terrain. Not uncommon to see a riser-barred 29er on 2" tyres at the less-serious races either.

shogun":2txj06bf said:
Narrower = faster is a bit of a myth, and sure, take advice from cyclocross; just remember a CX bike is 1/4 road bike, 1/4 off road bike, 1/2 rucksack.

haha, best analogy i have read in ages!

zetecmk2":1ot3437v said:
thin will cut through gloop better....if there's something solid under it! ykt :mrgreen:
That was my theory BITD! I used to run 1.5 hardpacks quite often even in the mud. Since I'm not the lightest of riders I figured I would never be skimming over the mud so decided I'd sink to the bottom and keep going :LOL: The hardpacks would be pretty scary on wet rocky corners though!

The hard packs were a great tyre!......I have often wondered why we don't see them here more often!....

feetabix":bsublow8 said:
The hard packs were a great tyre!......I have often wondered why we don't see them here more often!....
Tell me about it. Been looking for one for ages

trail_head":hwo9v8qn said:
When it comes to mtb tires fatter is better.
That's a bit of a generalisation and assumes everyone is riding the same terrain. I happily run 1.7 z max if I'm riding dry compact fire roads if though I,m riding muddy slippery Rocky terrain bigger tyres are needed.

Well, I`m going from Continental MountainKings 2.4s to Schwalbe Racing Ralphs 2.0s. Want to experiment with a lighter wheelset too, think Crossmax /XT/XTR,

Back