Recommend a road bike

Ah that's great. Youre right though i think we have conditioned ourselves to loving extremes! Almost wish i had a genesis flyer over a day one as I'm ready to sharpen those angles! I have only ever had dodgy old busted road bikes or wrong sized one. The other issue is I'm convinced part of the prob I never truly got on with my 20" hybrid is cos it was long and low at the front, but really it's a totally different bike.
I think what I might do is get some midge bars for my saintly day one and see how I get on with those n report back. Can always get swap on the tourer. Might make spinning to work more enjoyable and some new skills to the more off roady blasts... I must say even though I'm not totally doing it I'm starting to sort of understand why road riding might be fun. I feel a bit dirty. Which is ironic!

I was the same too...I had loads of silly preconceptions about road bikes and could never figure out why you'd want to ride on roads with cars etc.

However, once you try it.... Before long you'll be trying to decide whether to Imac or shave your legs and be concerned about maintaining cadence!

Seriously though,it's just so easy to go out for a blast from your door step.

Haha, yep, I couldn't be a full blown 'one' but we will now far I get on doing it my way, cheers. You are right, door step fresh, think this is why I've loved the day one so much. Faff free.

Mindmap3":279kov6a said:
Before long you'll be trying to decide whether to Imac or shave your legs

Whoaa, steady there, let's not take this roadie thing too far.

I just bought a Garmin Edge 305, and I'll be fitting the cadence meter this weekend, and blagging the HRM strap, as mine doesn't work with the Garmin.

I have also joined Strava :facepalm:

NeilM":colngnpa said:
Mindmap3":colngnpa said:
Before long you'll be trying to decide whether to Imac or shave your legs

Whoaa, steady there, let's not take this roadie thing too far.

I just bought a Garmin Edge 305, and I'll be fitting the cadence meter this weekend, and blagging the HRM strap, as mine doesn't work with the Garmin.

I have also joined Strava :facepalm:

My legs are staying hairy! But I have bought some lycra and a helmet with no peak for the first time since I've been into bikes (since 1996!).

Smooth legs is one thing I still can't get my head round...when I've asked roadie mates why before I got two answers. One was that its easier to clean wounds after crashes (fair enough I guess) the other answer was because it looks nicer! Not sure about that one.

Wasn't the smooth legs thing for aerodynamics...? Or of course fashion mimicking pro riders, or the worrying reason mindmap says! Eek!

So typically, drop bars and comfy brake levers make more sense than a bull horn or aero such as profile racing aero bar or charge slice bars?

Brake tops are similar to riding on bull horns yeah? So the actual drop bottom bit is to dodge headwinds or get down and churn some miles...?

reanimation":3jqpbns4 said:
So typically, drop bars and comfy brake levers make more sense than a bull horn or aero such as profile racing aero bar or charge slice bars?

Brake tops are similar to riding on bull horns yeah? So the actual drop bottom bit is to dodge headwinds or get down and churn some miles...?

Ohh lord, you've gone all roadie technical on us now.

"Brake tops are...... bull horns..."

No, I'm sorry, I haven't the slightest idea what any of that means. :shock:

Eek. Well I suppose I know the answer I just have not tested it!
Bull horn bars such as these http://www.thefootdown.co.uk/2009/11/14 ... ce-review/
Are your upturned drops chopped but a factory version. Problem is that you've only got these two hand positions. I expect riding on these is same as riding on brake hoods as they tend too, perhaps brake hoods are further forward. Hmm

I tend to ride on the hoods most of the time, I very rarely use the drops proper, mainly because a lot of the roads I use for training are so bl**dy awful, that I feel more stable siting a bit more upright.

When I'm not pushing myself, then I sit up a little more and place my hands on the flats. But as soon as I need to start shifting gear (climbing or descending) I'm back on the hoods.

After I posted the photo of my Raleigh, I did rotate the bars forward a bit, but in the end I found that position did not suit, so pulled them back a little. It has taken a few rides to get comfy, but I am now getting used to them.

My son ran bull bars on his commuter fixie for a while, but in the end went back to drops as that's what he's used to. He also has drops on his (new commuter) cx single speed.

Most of the older lo-pro TT bikes have bullhorns, so they must work.

Back