Italian Masi 3V (Volumetrica) FS

'Lively, exciting and responsive' - but still enjoyable on longer rides. Pretty special in other words! I actually bought it from a guy in the USA who raced it in local crits with some success against modern plastic, kitted out with 10spd Record. This is mine: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sd5sc0i5rhb7b5g/b4zODI10xQ
It rides brilliantly with the 11s Chorus groupset I fitted, with handbuilt wheels about 8kg as shown, but as I say I've always had a hankering for a 'period correct' one too... hmmm.

Hi,

I'd agree its an amazing ride, stiff and fast and very responsive, its the over sized thin wall tubes mated to those special sleeved lugs that give it that feel, plus the short wheel base - work of art TBH!.

By the way I love the colour and how you've built it up very nice indeed. Have you had the frame resprayed?. How did you manage to fit a modern 11 speed cassette with the 126mm rear spacing? or did you have it widened?. I must say I've thought about putting a modern groupset on her as it would work so well, but in the end decided I'd leave her as she is to keep her in keeping with that era. TBH the old C-record groupset looks beautiful but just doesn't compare to modern kit. The gears especially are a pain to setup as are the Delta brakes.

Have you registered the frame on the Bob Hovey website (Masi expert)? if not contact Bob and he'll add yours onto the site. Looking at your frame it looks like an Italian built 3V. Also what is the code on the bottom bracket? You also may want to contact Alberto Masi to find out where it was built/type of tubing etc, just give him the codes from the bottom bracket. Good luck!

http://bhovey.com/Masi/index.html

http://bhovey.com/Masi/MasiItaly.htm

An interesting story about the 3V>

http://bhovey.com/Masi/MasiArticles/MasiInterview.htm

Alberto Masi - albertomasi@tiscali.it

I'm familiar with Bob's site, a great resource, but never got round to registering it, I should. I did get as far as verifying it is definitely Italian built but exported to USA, I have the full history in fact, 2 previous owners from new! I got a spare set of decals fro previous owner, not sure they are 100% correct for an Italian '86 but like the colourway and I'm not a slave to originality as you can see! It was resprayed by Colour Tech in Crayford, David there did an amazing job especially considering the previous owner had powder coated it and the pantos had to be picked clean by hand. The previous owner also had it respaced to 130mm for his 10s Record, the 11s dropped straight in with no issues. I've actually switched to silver Athena (Ultra!) for this season, partly because the Chorus suited another build better and partly because I *think* the silver suits the Masi better. It does spend far too much time on my living room wall, which is why the idea of all that shiny C-Rec appeals!!

Hi,

It's a great website for sure... It's nice to have a story/history regarding the frame. You say you had it resprayed at Colour Tech, I had my old Cinelli Supercorsa done by Dave and he did a grand job. By the way when I was there he had a 3V hanging on the wall, it wasn't previously a cream colour was it?. I agree the silver Athena is perfect for your 3V, bet it looks and works so well... I also use the Athena 11 speed alloy groupset on my Pegoretti Marcelo, works so well and looks great too. I don't blame you for just admiring her on your living room wall, TBH I only use my 3V in the summer months as I don't want to ruin such great bike. And C-record rules! but I think what you've done with your 3V is amazing!.

Regards,

Toby

Thanks for your kind words. Not sure this is helping sell your 3V but interesting to meet another Masi lover! And yes, my 3V was previously a cream colour so almost certainly the same one you saw, not to my taste but don't want to offend previous owner if he comes across this! Dave does good work and I would recommend him to anyone reading this looking for a quality paint job within reach of London/Kent. You can do paint by post but I'm a big believer in meeting face to face and discussing the details, as we all know that's where the devil hides...

Back