Jees, started as a drip

I feel for you Alison.We were woke up to our cat Screaming at the top of its voice(if cats have a voice)to find water pouring through the hall ceiling.Luckily the water had found its way through the smoke detector mount holes so we had no cave in. Im more than capable to sort the problem out so It was no problem to fix.I hate to think how much a plumber would have Charged.My advice to anyone is buy the B+Q diy book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0500515514/? ... 0500515514

Not that I recommended anything else from their over priced junk stores(read crap cheap bathrooms that are a swine to fit).

Anyway turns out my problem had been half caused by the idiots whom I trusted to fit my new facias and guttering(I should have done myself but I would struggle on my own to lift the stuff).They had pulled the overflow pipe out of its joint so when the ball cock stuck open in the header tank the water flowed down our hall way rather than down the pipe and out side :roll:

regarding the above, i would advised everyone to test all thier overflows, loft and otherwise. we have an estate local to me where a lot of overflows were never glued on installation. unfortunately we only find these when the cons has taken a two week holiday and the ceilings have come down.

for those of you with tanks in the loft, make sure to remove insulation from underneath the tank to allow heat to leak from the house and keep the tank thawed.

I have a nasty habit of putting holes through water pipes. done it 3 times now so have learnt my lesson and check many times before I start drilling holes.

if you are renting..ask the landlord if they have insurance for any of your items if they became damaged

If you have a decent, close neighbour and it's not freezing ask if you can run a garden hose from their outside tap to your downstairs loo to fill up the cistern, easier than a bucket.
Be prepared to live with a dehumidifier and a large fan going 24/7 for a week or two to get rid of the damp. Bloody noisy and very irritating, but worth it in the end.

We are back on, the ball cock if that's its name got stuck, we have claimed on the insurance for the fridge freezer but now we've realised the laminated flooring in the back room is bubbling up and that will be dealt with as a second claim and another £50 excess charge

Alison

Isaac_AG":ns02dji2 said:
and that will be dealt with as a second claim and another £50 excess charge

Alison
how can that be a second claim? if the damage was done by the original flood? I've know people in similar cases that after discussions with the robbing bast..... sorry insurance company that have been able to add to the original claim several months after as they have found damaged caused in the first occurance of the water damage, have a word with them and see what they say? or at least get them to drop the excess on the second claim

Back