1970's MKM restoration - nearly finished :)

Good to hear Robin has contacted you and that you've found the number and date. It looks as if you might have a rarish set of Mafac side pulls there. I've never seen any 'in the flesh' so it may be worth popping a set of photos of yours here -

http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... 7&AbsPos=9

The GB's are a bit earlier (50's/60's) and the Weinmanns to common. Levers may be a problem though as Mafacs with good half hoods are not easy to come by. Ones without hoods are not to difficult and often for sale on here. Try and get round to jumbles. There should be one in Long Eaton first weekend of March which could be getattable for you in Lincs. Also, put a list of what you need in the 'Road Wanted' section and see what answers you get. I MAY have a top nut for Campag headset somewhere in my 'collection'.

As it was used for TT'ing then the Pista BB axle is no surprise as single chainrings were common.

I would say that, despite wanting to preserve a frame's original finish wherever possible, the condition of yours has gone beyond 'patina' and it needs a respray and possibly a bit of filling of the rusty areas. I would suggest Chris Marshall in Keighley (01535 691073) who does a lot of classic restoration work.

Keep us informed of how you're getting on with it

;)

Ned, yes the mafac brake calipers do look the same as the photos on that link exept mine dont have quick release levers.

Thought I may have had the brake levers to match, just been in the shed and found 7 weinmann and 1 old GB but no mafac!!

The frame is to get a respay and was going to keep the old colour but may change my mind. The forks are chromed for about 3/4 of the way up but has been wire brushed to get a key for the paint, unfortunatly.

Yes, OLN=Outside Lock Nuts, or inside drop-outs, if you prefer! Have you measured 126mm?

Did you get the seat post out in one piece?

Is that dark paint on the bb shell or just oxidised metal?

IMO regardless of whether you are getting this resprayed it deserves a good interim clean-up and t-cut (or whatever your poison) just to see what you got. I like to see old paint given a chance before it's consigned to oblivion... :) but then that's easy for me to say.. it's not my elbow-grease getting squandered! Personally I wouldn't get any braze-ons.. I think you are lucky not to have 'em, especially on the tubes... It's easy to find a frame with 'em, increasingly hard to find one without 'em...

Torqueless,

The OLN=122mm

The seat post I tried my hardest to get it out in peice but failed! I had to cut it and then cut down to release.

The paint is now almost removed, unable to save it. The black paint is lug lining or very rusty area's.

The seat post I tried my hardest to get it out in peice but failed! I had to cut it and then cut down to release.
Ah. Seat-postectomy.. I've still got the top 2" of an SR Laprade somewhere. The rest of it I had to cut into quarters before I could budge it.. entirely my fault that it got stuck in the first place, too.

Take some 'bare metal' photos if you're stripping the paint yourself.. not to show us (although that'd be nice) ...just for reference, you know...

I'd echo some of the previous comments about adding braze ons.
I look at old bikes as historical documents, if you will, so I would never alter a frame by adding, or subtracting braze ons. This is also why I really like finding bikes with the original finish even if it is showing some battle scars. When, as is the case with this machine, there is serious rust issues then the bike should be faithfully restored as close as possible to original condition.

Back