cars for under a grand...?

BigFoz":28gpda4p said:
I had been quite tempted right up to the point I drove it. However that was 2000, and they should have got better since.

Nope, the porridge stirring gearchange is about right :D (Certainly on any in this price range)

As I said... "uninspiring" to drive. So long as you just want it to take you and a heap of stuff (and you really can fit a surprising amount of stuff in there, I had almost an entire bathroom suite in once) from A to B cheaply and reliably, it's perfect.

5446996_orig.jpg

Jeez. How wide must it be with that bodykit on it? Always thought it would go well with the 5cyl 20valve turbo in it... The 1.6 petrol was always a little light on oomph - good enough for family driving, but required nuts to be revved off to make brisk progress.

Right now I would be looking at an old 4x4 and forgetting about the long term frugality, etc.

Two months on things will be different of course.

A Merc estate in LPG flavour or diesel would get you near enough your mpg desires.

Logic.Al":eohy03yx said:
Lada Riva?
Don't laugh. I drove one for 18 months in SA and it never missed a beat. 4x4 too!

That would be a Niva.

We had one back in the day on our farm when my dad had given up on Land Rovers and bought a Land Cruiser he then decided was too nice to hack up tracks with.

Great machines, but no way would they ever make more than 25mpg!

There's no chance of anything more than 30 out of a proper 900. I have a single carb n/a and it struggles to get 30.

I personally like simplicity so some of these suggestions are slightly short of your mpg target and they're all a bit boring, but this is what I looked at before getting mine... (and yes, I like French cars)

Synergie 1.9TD (I bought one) - most practical car ever. Cavernous rear, because all the seats come out. Sliding doors both sides. Super reliable, 45mpg. I paid £750 and it has needed very little maintenance for two years (150k miles on it). I would buy another in a heartbeat!

Synergie HDi (you probably want the 110) - as above, a bit more economical/faster/refined, but fussier engine and more expensive to buy, you'll still find one for around £1k though.

If you want leftfield... BX estate, ye venerable 1.9TD lump or the 1.7 is good too. Around 50mpg, loads of room, magic carpet ride and great handling, masses of spares availability, good owners' club forum. (I have a BX 16v and I'm sure I can point you at a good estate)

Citroen C5 estate or 406 estate HDi.

405 estate 1.9TD.

Skoda Felicia estate. Agricultural but 60mpg.

Golf 1.9TD estate , as above but even more biblical mpg (friend had one that hovered around 75mpg).

Multipla you know about.

Land Rover 110 2.5TD/200tdi will get you around 30mpg, not as much room as you'd think in the back though, but lots of fun and will last forever but you need to maintain it. 300tdi is too complicated IMO. V8s with LPG conversions are around but you'll be lucky to see an equivalent 25mpg with those! Discos are good but really don't have much room in, Range Rovers... old one = money pit, P38 = too complicated, anything after that = too expensive. But of course you'll be bloody lucky to get anything apart from a very tired P38 for under a grand anyway.

mass199":2jgl1w9c said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-Berlingo-1-8i-Multispace-IN-SILVER-/251194190731?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3a7c572b8b

These have a good following.

I've had one of these since August last year, 2.0Hdi, around 50mpg, rear seats fold up in seconds, front wheel out and bike goes in easily.
Small and unobtrusive on the outside, tardis-like on the inside.
There's a good UK internet-forum.
For £1k you'd probably find a Mk1 1.9d, simple engine, goes forever, and like the Rover 600 SDLI I used to own.... you only ever see pensioners or disabled badge holders driving them :LOL:

IMG_1004.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
cheers guys! keep them coming!

To give you and idea, since the age of 16 I have owned the following:

Mini pick-up
5x Rover SD1 V8 series 1
4x Merc W126 560/ 500
1x V8 Range Rover
1x V8 Discovery
1x 1979 Jeep Wagoneer 5.9 V8
2x Nissan Sunny ZX 16v 1.8
2x Nissan Silvia 1.8 turbo & 1x very rare Silvia 2.0 16v
1x Mondeo 1.8 TD, 1x Mondeo 1.8 zetec estates
1x Citroen ZX 1.8 auto