Health, safety and childhood BITD

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
My husband was talking about sneaking coal, fire lighters and matches and going off all day on a Saturday and making fires and being out from daylight till dark with not a worry from mother. I used to go fishing all day and never think about home.

What are your childhood experiences of BITD and your feelings about childhood today. I was petrified when my daughter of 12 was not back home by 6 last week.

Alison

i think one of the best meals i ever had was when a few mates and i all nicked some sausages and bacon from home and took them down to the beach for a fry up. i can still remember how good it tasted and have never tasted anything like it since. :)

In terms of OMGabductionsetc, things are the same as they ever were. The difference is, the media is now obsessed with such crimes to an unhealthy extreme.

If you're talking about H&S laws, I remember one of my local parks had 3' diameter concrete pipes tunnelling for about 50 feet under artificial hills. They were the single best feature of any park that I've ever seen, and gave me hours of fun. I believe that a local 'campaigner' saw them about 15 years ago, had an apoplectic fit and got them filled in. I actually almost wept when I found out.

When I was young we used to walk down a big pipe which came out at the foot of a weir, rushing water flowing past. I would never allow my children to do that yet I never felt unsafe. Odd to me now.

Alison

I was a climber as a kid, show me something and i'd try and climb it, was always up on flat roofs etc, funnily enough not many trees mostly buildings (grew up in a housing scheme in Glasgow), would also jump out of first floor windows as a dare (i was a bit of a nut job :)), once jumped out of a window, on landing i cracked my knee off my jaw so hard i nearly knocked myself out, was 35 at the time :)

Just kidding, i think i was about 9 or 10, amazing i survived without injury, all part of the fun and adventure growing up in the 70's and 80's though.

Back