And today I did......

add one for the 29er vote- in a modern I would not do otherwise (and loving Mine still) but as velo says for that old school "feel" 26er still rocks even if it is at a price :LOL:

Aye if you want a Yeti get a real/retro one. BTW I can honestly say I don't notice a sluggish acceleration, I don't feel like I need to wind it up or owt. I've never (and especially on a MacRetro ride) been left choking on the 26ers dust. They do carry speed and whilst some of this is inertia alot is the extra grip and the bridging effect of the bigger wheel (IMO).

Exactly its a personal thing, you dont notice anything but I do. Maybe i need longer cranks like my Sugino's you still have K ;)

velomaniac":k5atke3h said:
Exactly its a personal thing, you dont notice anything but I do. Maybe i need longer cranks like my Sugino's you still have K ;)

What wheel set up do you have Velo?

BTW I'm waiting till you mentioned the cranks 101 times before I give you them back....just one to go then ;)

Good wheels will make a difference, I know this, as cheap 36 spoke hybrid wheels wont, I know this also but funds are always tight :(

When 29ers are common place and 26ers are not seen outwith of Retrobike I will have a 29er. You lot however will have jumped on the next bandwaggon by then and view 29ers as you now view 26ers. Thats progress and I begrude this to no one.

I will be experimenting with 29er off road fixed as 27er works pretty well but thats really just my own perversion :LOL:

kaiser":1lefbhq7 said:
Cube Stereo Super looks good in 29er flavour.

looks nice, but outa my range, believe it or not the yeti's several hundred cheaper :shock: and quoted as 9mths old and only 20 rides

agree with the old yeti, an old arc hardtail is on my list of must builds...mmm yeti, cook bros, ringle, xt mmm

think the 29er original intention and feedback is landing with me.. i want this for long days and rough rides, so the 29er attributes are more suited.

going to go and check it out, and see if I can get him to change his mind and sell the SB-69

Just to give you another opinion from someone who only started riding a 29er in April.

29ers are not a magic pill. You get nothing in life for free, energy cannot be created or destroyed, etc, etc, etc. For every benefit a larger wheel has there is a drawback too. And I have been able to percieve most of them.

But would I buy a 26" wheeled bike again other than a retro?

No chance. :LOL:

(fatbikes excepted of course, but Velo is right about the rolling radius.);)

29ers rock. I accept that if you are less than say 5'8" then maybe a 29er wouldn't be for you, but for everyone else, they are the way forward.

I'm so convinced in the benefit of bigger wheels that I am now looking forward to when 36ers are more easily available.:mrgreen:

post-388-0-18726100-1354602767.jpg

gmac123":sug198m4 said:
thanks fellas, needed some validation from 29er riders that, that's the way to go

the now until April, doesn't really worry me (although I'm off to skye in March and potentially twice in April)

the bike is ideally for long rides on rough stuff, and hopefully a few big mountains

One word (Sheep)

Back