And today I did......

clockworkgazz":ozw0zo99 said:
clockworkgazz":ozw0zo99 said:
looks cracking value for money- might have to hit the buy button- pretty light too.

got the green light so we can compare reviews in the dry season :LOL:

Good stuff, I'm hoping to get away a couple of times this year. The only thing I now need to sort is a way of carrying it on the bike.

Panniers not the obvious route? You will need.a sleeping bag, mat, food and some spare clothes so ruck sack might be to bulky (not to rado of course). Think I am going to use tge rack on the fat for the first few outing as loch doon will be the proving ground.

Panniers seem to be falling out of favour. Frame bags, seat packs and bar straps are where its at. Lighter by a long chalk and have less effect on handling. Also stops you packing the kitchen sink.

A typical set up.

bikepacking1.jpeg

IMO though, more for the truly wild camping, panniers will still work as they always have. I do like the frame bag idea though.

like the idea of the wee trailer (like rob's) but as I have the panniers and rack I will stick with them. I always thought any weight on the bars would make steering at speed a bit more interesting than I want to go but have not tried it TBH. Your right the idea is to pack as light as possible- easy in and easy out in 24hr's- is about as much as I can fit in between family and fitbaw.

Side winds might be an issue but you could shelter behind it if it gets a bit wild :LOL:

Admittedly I haven't ridden with one but I've not heard any knee chaffing stories. Horses for courses of course :) I think the guys that are using this type of set up their kit for an overnighter can be as low as 5lbs and maybe up to 10ish. Different mind set from panniers and the like, almost along the lines of weight weenieing. Perversely though I'd see myself using it on the Pugsley. As for the bars, you'd only strap on fairly light stuff, maybe your mat and tarp. Got to be less than lowriders and bags :?: albiet the weight is more top heavy. Again I've not tried it but have read a fair bit and it does make a bit of sense. I guess crosswinds could effect you but headwinds less so compared to panniers. In saying all of that I don't think this type of set up would have been better suited in the C2C2C we did.

Still waiting fur this bairn...... Anyhoo back to bikey, had a look at the new XT brakes that arrived yesterday :D This is the last bit for the Scandal.

Also I've just bought myself a new pair of Endura Singletracks and a pair of Shimano shoes. Go to Evans and when you spend over £40 and enter :JAN20 you get £20 off!! I did it twice as well!

Back