199? Giant ATX 760

Coach Jeff

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Here is a recent addition to my stable.
Got it off ebay close to home here in Brisbane.

Fitted with full Deore. Came with black Araya CV-7 rims with Deore LX hubs which are now up on the work bench having a few buckles taken out of them. Also had to fix the left crank pedal thread which had been cross threaded at some stage. Had a torn no-name seat on it so have put a rolls on it for now.

Rides like a dream and the shifting is still butter smooth. Always fires me up when you jump on an old bike like this and it still performs.

Can someone help me with a possible year ... I'm thinking 92 to 94.

main.php

Thanks man ....

I actually love the paint on this.
It kinda looks dirty but it ain't.

And yep the Deore stuff is still working like a dream.
Been riding it every day since I got and lovin every min of it.

Giant ATX 760

It is from Giant's American line-up from 1992, a line-up which also were marketed in Australia/New Zealand. In Europe the bicycle was called Escaper, painted in a uniform blue colour and equipped with a somewhat shorter stem than the one that was fitted on the ATX 760. The shape of the box crown fork is unique to that year, in my opinion a very slick design with an aggressively short offset of 1,6". The previous year 1991 the ATX 760 was equipped with a unicrown fork and I believe in 1993 the American line went back to unicrown forks and I know the European line had a modified box crown fork different from the 1992 design, so you are sitting on a rare fork! Of course the fork as the rest of the frame is butted.
While the also pink/black marble-painted ATX 770 was top of the line of the CrMo-frames that year with Deore DX/XT-components, the ATX 760 was a good second with Deore LX/DX-components. Giant's CADEX-frames had entered the market by 1992 so the downgrading of the CrMo-frames had begun with the highest end Shimano components reserved for the CADEX-frames. I bought my ATX 760 in NZ in 1992, it is still around and loved. The paint job is just marvellous.

Back