Raleigh Rapide 1983 - Project Old-man - epilogue (P6)

The end is in sight! Front wheel polished, bearings and hub nicely lubed. It's running much more smoothly now.

dsc0191yp.jpg

dsc0192oy.jpg

dsc0193yo.jpg

dsc0194cf.jpg

My hands and rags were completely black by the end but well worth it.

All that's left is to polish the rear wheel, pop on the cassette, lube and put back the bearings. Then it's apply the brake levers, hoods (still waiting on them from the US), cables and bar tape (the LBS is doing that as I don't want to fuck it up).

At the moment it's partially built up to try and make some space in my lounge :oops: She looks sweeeeeeeet.

So the cleaning and polishing odyssey is over. I don't think my hands could take anymore abuse but it's been worth it. Last night the rear wheel was buffed up and re-built.

dsc0196hj.jpg

dsc0197gm.jpg

dsc0198xe.jpg

And put together, get your :cool: out.

dsc0200dmp.jpg

I found myself staring at it for 10 minutes yesterday evening... :oops:

The final stretch is here:

Tyres and tubes
Straps
Cables
Chain (will use the original, it's fine, not stretched or that worn)
Bar tape
Hoods (come on US post - where are they?!)

Has anyone got any recommendations for bringing back to life suede saddles? Would the sort of products you use for shoes be ok?

Yes what you use on shoes will be fine, be thorough with it though otherwise it'll end up on his bum!

I'd recommend a new chain though. It's not easy or pleasant to clean a chain and leaving any spot uncleaned will result in a greasy drive train undoing all your work. Been there rather frustratingly....a nice silver or silver and black chain will set it off nicely and give the drive train a nice tight feel.

Excellent work btw looks great!

i will not catch you up - i am still polishing. Your wheels look great - mine need as much work as yours, if not more but i have a spare set.

I bet your Dad will be so chuffed - i mentioned it to my wife and she thought it was a great present but she has not offered to do any polishing for me yet!!

What tyres are you planning? I have all black on my running wheel, the old types are dead (i think) so i will need another pair.

Cheers - sorted the final bits and pieces last night:

Panaracer Pasela TG Tyres - 700 x 25c - Black
Cinelli Gel Cork Bar Tape - Black
Jagwire Racer Road Bike Gear & Brake Cable Set BLACK
Christophe Leather Straps for Toe Clips - Black & White & Tan [Black]

Also got some new bottle cage bolts. The chain will come from the LBS. As mentioned previously, the bar tape application I'll leave to the experts. Now if those freakin' hoods would turn up soon that would be good!

Tyres, tubes, tape, jagwire - check, check, check and check!

I'll get the boots on tonight - they aren't amberwall but I think all black will give it a stealthy look...let's see.

Minor update, new boots and bottle cage bolts applied :cool:

dsc0203ok.jpg

I'm liking the blackwalls as they suit the white and black scheme - need to change the valve caps though!

Back