1992 GT Karakoram

ah, I only looked at the rear drop out pic, and assumed inferno..

If it was tequilla then the last owner needs to be tracked down and tortured.. :twisted:

I like nearly all the GT paint schemes of this era except for Tequila. I would never repaint an original Tequila scheme but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Conclusive proof that a disgusting crime was committed. :-(

null_zpsa49e8d69.jpg

My NOS toptube pad fits this bike. Woo-hoo!

null_zps849a72a9.jpg

Already got all the bits. Ish. Notice controversial parts selection....

null_zps84f3c426.jpg

Although the original fork is the best, I have another GT fork which is lighter, ahead style and same A-C length. I will have this one painted the same colour so I've got another option. If you didn't already know I have a very bad neck and can struggle very much with low front ends. :-(

null_zpscfc0cdb3.jpg

I'm really glad it's gone to a good home. I'm looking forward to watching it be resurrected from that paint job. If it had have been 20" I would have kept it myself.

I'd just like to reiterate that it had been painted like that when I got it and it wasn't me who painted over the original GT scheme!

Original paint job looks sweet. I would go with the Ahead style fork. For mountainbike use a quill setup is a bit too flexy IMHO. I would mean loosing the original stem though.

SWijland":34cxkt4e said:
Original paint job looks sweet. I would go with the Ahead style fork. For mountainbike use a quill setup is a bit too flexy IMHO. I would mean loosing the original stem though.

Too flexy? On a fully rigid retro MTB in West Yorkshire/Peak District? Errr can't be!

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

I agree an ahead set up gives you more options, and you could carry the scheme over to the stem.

I thought about doing something similar with the GT frame I got for my daughter. She wanted pink or purple and I planned on trying the splatter finish in white over it.

In the end I chickened out and just went with the straight colour change.

I'm not going to try and replicate the original paint. I have been thinking long and hard about it and it will cost a lot of money and time and faff BUT it still won't be the original finish. Which will always bug me. :-(

So I have another plan, which I think you'll like, which replicates the original colour but in a more subtle, and more importantly, cheaper way! ;) :D

Last night I had a go and taking the BB out. It is well and truly stuck.

Bah. :cry: :cry:

The plastic side sheared off and the metal side won't budge at all. Time for more leverage I think....

Sorry, I hadn't got as far in planning any use of the frame to try removing the bottom bracket. I hope you get it out ok. All I did was remove the dreadful replacement cranks someone had burdened it with.

That reminds me I need to find a way to remove the bottom bracket from my Scapin.

Back