Decals before lacquer or t'other way round?

unkleGsif":2xexsb1m said:
1 - you'd never get the decals off the backing, as they'd be under a coat if lacquer.
2 - even if you lifeted them before it had dried, you'd get marks or fingerprints in the lacquer, so would look sh!t.
3 - the decals would still be peelable from the frame. The whole point of lacquering over them, is that the edges are locked under a layer of paint

G

1 - I've done this with water slide decals and it was fine. Would these decals be different?
3 - The idea was to protect the decal from wear when using printed decals. As the print is on top it wears easily (apparently).

:)

Just to add another layer to this (sorry), do I recall Gil, or possibly someone else, producing/recommending different thicknesses of decals - thick, hard wearing ones for on top and thinner versions for under lacquer?

This is getting confusing! Surprised there's not a definitive answer (although I do appreciate all the feedback btw). What do manufacturers do? When you buy a new bike, the decals are under the lacquer, so it obviously can be done. Just interested to know now really.

I think the basic mesage here is "Yes, but depends on a number of vaiables"... that have been discussed here

G

Definitely it can be done, there's a potential risk which you can minimise depending on the lacquering technique and pros & cons to both ways. Up to you which you prefer, protected or replaceable...

I think if money was no object, I'd go for decals under the lacquer and if it goes wrong, I'd pay for all to be done again. As it is, I can't really afford that so I think I'll get lacquered and then put the decals over the top. At least they're replaceable that way, as a few of you have said.

Thanks for all the advice.

I painted the fairings on my Ducati last year, base coat then decals then laquer and had no issues

The company I work for have an automotive paintshop and the bake oven is run at 65 degrees celcius - they have done loads of bikes and never had any issues (I just called them and asked)

they will be doing my Cannondale in January and I will definatly be laquering over the decals,

I think to be fair sometimes answers on here can err on the side of caution ;)

Latest posts

Back