where to get LED bulb for dynohub

JakeMiddleton

Dirt Disciple
I am fixing up an old humber bicycle and am including a dynohub lighting system, I have the hub and the light working with the very old sturmey archer bulbs, I have heard though that to get it even better you can put led bulbs in them for a brighter light.

here is the hub I am using
$(KGrHqZHJEEFBn,VjdNpBQf(E,HM7w~~60_35.JPG

I have stripped and troubleshooted (is that a word?) these hubs before but am not so sure about what bulbs would be suitable or where to get them, any of you guys know anything?

WIll post pics of the build :)

I use 6v tungsten bulb for all my Miller dynamo equipped bikes, Ive found ebay a good source for retro bulbs of that type. As for running an LED Im not so sure.

Personally Id keep the dyno hub in use for the the normal lighting and use LE Das an addition/back up.

Find it's voltage output and then see what current it gives.
Given it's enough for a bulb then for an LED it should be fine.
You may need to current/voltage limit the circuit so you don't blow the LED.. Better still as you'll be producing more than the LED will probably use, create a capacitor store/discharge circuit to store a bit so it still goes when you stop or slow down.
A bit like the manual charge lights are shake to charge lights store the power.

But search ebay for the fitting and voltage it works at first.

You can make a very simple dynamo powered LED light from a star mounted LED (such as a CREE XML) and a rectifier (available from Maplin). This will require some soldering and mounting the LED in your current light.

If you want to replace just the bulb, then we will need to know what type of light and bulb it takes. You can then look on eBay for a replacement.

Another option would be to just buy a modern (!) dynamo powered light such as the B&M IQ Cyo. These are bright - I use one as my commuting light. I think they might even be available in a retro-friendly silver casing.

Back