Urban RetroBike tour around London - Saturday 1st Dec 2012

Re: Urban RetroBike tour around London

PurleySquire":2xd97rrc said:
Dear rural RetroBiker cousins, fed up of miles of emptiness, fields of wheat, remote hilltop vistas and no kebab shops for miles in every direction?
No, not in the slightest! Your plan sounds quite good though, but I expect you'd have to start too early in the morning for me. When are planning to do it?

Oh good enough people seem to be interested.

In answer to the questions raised:

Coming from the South West, change at Clapham, head for Platform 13! IIRC and there are lots of trains to East Croydon. You are unlikely to have to wait more than 10 mins tops and the fast trains take about 10 minutes to get to EC. The ride although short, is a bit horrid and not recommended unless you know the route.

Joining on route, shouldn't be a problem. I didn't realise there were helmet rules, I don't wear one usually but can put a motorcycle helmet on if needed. :oops:

Knowing where to go - I used to be a delivery driver and have worked around town for the last 20 years, the route we will be following is one I have travelled many times before (almost daily during the Olympics). It is always a pleasure to share and I'm sure the RetroBikers will find new twists and turns that I have missed.

London is a 24 hour city, the optional bit on the return via Crystal Palace is actually much better at dusk or night. I was anticipating a 10am departure.

The consensus on yesterday's ride was that due to ever shortening days and other events, it would be good to run this route in Spring, early March maybe?

Sooner rather than later then...

As there seems to be interest in running this ride sooner rather than later, I can propose the following possible weekend based dates.

3rd or 4th November
24th or 25th November

Don't fret if you can't make it, if it is popular I can re-run it later on, it's the sort of ride I could almost do with my eyes shut. And when we get lost no doubt you'll all remind me of this! :oops:

Sounds like a hoot! Count me in. 24/25 November would be ace for me, but can work with the masses unless I have something uber important on the date chosen.

I could potentially have myself +2 interested in this.

long time since I lived in london, but I know bikes weren't that welcome on tubes back then either...

would this ride be suitable for someone not comfortable on busy roads?

and is there an easy way to get from Waterloo?

Requires nerves of steel

No BCM, although there should be plenty of very quiet bits, heavy traffic is unavoidable on some of the road sections. I was considering a Sunday, as the City is totally dead then.
Waterloo is easy for the end of the ride, we will almost ride past it at one point. See my earlier post about using Clapham Junction to get to East Croydon. I have never seen a bike on the tube, imagine riding down the escalator!

Re: Requires nerves of steel

PurleySquire":2zailbgg said:
No BCM, although there should be plenty of very quiet bits, heavy traffic is unavoidable on some of the road sections. I was considering a Sunday, as the City is totally dead then.
Waterloo is easy for the end of the ride, we will almost ride past it at one point. See my earlier post about using Clapham Junction to get to East Croydon. I have never seen a bike on the tube, imagine riding down the escalator!

Purley, I'm up for this dependant on date. I can do 24/25 Nov onwards. I will also be up for it in spring if you do a re-run.

Date Set - Saturday 1st December

In order to ride on the most traffic free day, let's make this Saturday 1st December. Meeting around 09:45 for a 10:00 departure prompt, some of the later legs of the journey are likely to be around dusk or after dark, so bring your lights and high viz.

If I am correct, the following are definately coming:

Godders
Whatleymeister
Warpedboy2

The following are possibly/maybe/join somewhere en route

JeRky
paininthe
jonnyboy666
Bike Man

The following can't make it, but are up for a future #2 ride in 2013

Anthony
Danno