Numb hands after riding.

Ergo grips may be a good idea to try out again,
Did try them and didn't notice any difference after a few rides and gave them to my Bro in law.
Might give them more time to get used to them.
Sylus buddy, I am very comfortable with 18" frames and have the seat post in just the right position.
As for Dutch bike or Street bike, no thanks I love my Mtb's :LOL:

Fluffychicken, I like brake levers in the more horizontal position too :)

I would try more rise, and move my whole position back a little. Whatever is causing it, taking some weight off your arms is going to alleviate it somewhat.

Gaff some piple insulation on to see if big spongy grips help. Maybe a move to carbon bars if not already.

Are you riding rigid?

Also, try adjusting the tilt of the handlebars, sometimes a tiny change can make all the difference.

FluffyChicken":13ekn1iv said:
I get this when the grips are hard.
Also I reduced it by moving the brake levers more horizontal so your resting position on the hand when braking etc twists under rather than in or over the bars.

Also heightened when I ride the smallest of my bikes.

Off to look up more about Carpals Tunnels

I get it. I can ride off road for hours and I am fine, but I ride bout 20 miles[round trip] getting to off road and I get it, I tend to move my hands about a bit and it is a bit better; it seems to be where the heel of the palm is pressed against the grip.
You mention hard grips, I have the sort of ribbed soft rubber grips on one bike and it's worse then the other bike which had hard grips. But the more comfortable of the two has a longer top tube, maybe the position
is slightly better.
And I have set the better bikes levers so they are inline with my arms[the other bike is all how I bought it]. I also twisted the bars very slightly, to prevent the bars denting the frame.

I was looking for grips, I have a bike without grips, I was wondering if those odd shaped[probably ergonomic] things are any good?

I think the cause is the same as numb bits when riding, where with the saddle it is the perineum artery that gets crushed with the hand it is the ulnar artery that runs across the palm. As we age the artery walls become less elastic and so don't quite spring back into place like they did when we were younger and so with the hand, the fingers get starved of blood leading to cold and pins and needles. The solution is protection from the arteries being crushed and so The Specialized body Geometry stuff has addressed the problem, but gel gloves and soft grips will do the job as well. Yeah it might not look cool or sporting, but hey were getting old, to keep riding we have to give a bit.

I wouldn't waste a penny on "Body Geometry" gloves... I got some years ago and it's only now that they're wearing in to a comfortable state - for the first few years they only caused numbness which I hadn't suffered before!

It seemed incredible to me, but the extra padding was in completely the wrong place. Now that it's worn flat the gloves are fine...

Back