On One Whippet Carbon Hardtail Loveliness

highlandsflyer":14e4rpbo said:
Using a bolt in arrangement rather than clamp means a change of problem, rather than removal of a problem.

Ring clamping a carbon tube is one thing, exposing a delicate thin carbon wall to localised flex is another.
Nevertheless, the bike industry must be convinced that it is significantly the lesser of two evils. Things like direct-mounts fm don't just appear out of thin air. Shimano wouldn't have developed them unless the major frame builders/designers had gone to them and said it was what they needed for carbon frames. My guess is they know what they're talking about.

I don't think the spectre of over tightening was the reason, more the new shapes of frame making it hard to do anything else. it applies to plenty Alu bikes and steel sussers.

You are right enough, they know what they are up to. Never doubted that. :)

I believe bolt ons are lighter and better shifting (stiffer) they also allow clearance for tight rear wheels. Certainly starting to be spec'd on 29ers to allow for shorter chainstays.

If your after a race bike then the whippet is a good option, if its an all round bike your,re after I would look at the carbon 456. The 456 is a bit heavier but much nicer to ride as it seems to have a more forgiving rear end

dvatcmark":2ykjdi67 said:
If your after a race bike then the whippet is a good option, if its an all round bike your,re after I would look at the carbon 456. The 456 is a bit heavier but much nicer to ride as it seems to have a more forgiving rear end

I was looking for a racier style frame, although i will be riding it all day if i can ;) I'm looking for something that will whip through singletrack and fly up hills and handle the odd Welsh trail centre trip once a year.
Most of the time i ride the North Downs in Kent.
The only thing bothering me really is the top tube length, it's 2 inches longer than i'm used to. I can sort that out with a shorter stem, but the wheelbase will still be longer- how will that affect the ride?

Back