Disc brake adjustment...going mad!!

Question : Is it the rear brake on the Marin ? If the hubs don't move, perhaps the chainstays do. That rear end looks like the kind of setup that could have some flex along the longitudinal axis. In that case the entire brake mount and caliper would be able to rotate outward or inward a bit, causing the disc to drag when riding. In your workstand you don't get those forces.

If it only just started to happen, perhaps you might want to look at the suspension linkage system first. If there's play in the bushings or if one of the bolts is getting a bit loose, that could weaken the front end of the rear section enough to make the entire thing flex a few millimeters. That's enough to cause this phenomenon.

This is the really good thing about Avid BB7s. They have the concave/convex washers to alter the angle of the calipers. They can therefore be used on frmes whose disc mounts are un faced.
THe solution to your problem is to have the disc caliper mounts faced so the calipers are perfectly parallel with the disc rotor. THey very rarely are, straight from the factory/workshop/shed.
What frame is it?

stewlewis":26tco95j said:
Axle/Spindle bent sending the disc slightly to cock when weight applied?
Does it rub all the way around each rotation?

Hmm possibly...its pretty constant on the bad lean...

The problem doesn't happen in the workstand, reuben, so it's not a matter of being straight or not.
Something is causing the setup to get out of alignment when riding forces are being applied to it. If it is that Marin he's struggling with, my money is on the bottom end of the quad-link system.

...I have also been getting a currently unexplained clicking/creaking on occaision from what I believe to possibly be the linkage area...but there is no obvious play when you grab the swingarm...

tadaa !

Stand backwards over the bike and lean on the saddle. Grab both chainstays and try pulling one up while pushing the other one down. Alternate the force a few times.
If there's flex, you should see the caliper (and possibly the disc) move a bit.

Oh and the pic shows the Marin with Hayes brakes before I changed to XT....(along with a new XTR crankset rear mech and cassette!)

Raging_Bulls":3f7suowq said:
tadaa !

Stand backwards over the bike and lean on the saddle. Grab both chainstays and try pulling one up while pushing the other one down. Alternate the force a few times.
If there's flex, you should see the caliper (and possibly the disc) move a bit.

Ill give that a try tomorrow...was wondering about the linkage due to the click/creak issue that I've tried to solve in a previous post!

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Wook

Back