fecking snapped drop out adjuster bolts

gregs656

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
feck feck feck

I think my best shot is getting something spot welded to the end. What do you reckon?

Bloody annoyed with my self over this one. I had just finished cleaning up a few bits on the bike and thought I might as well run a couple of adjuster screws in - why did I ever bother :roll:

90F94CA9-440F-4FF5-BC3E-7C8DA7340A45-57822-000049195FC5A9AE.jpg

Is it well stuck?

You could try cutting a slot with a hacksaw, then hopefully a flat blade screw driver will get it out.

I don't think it can be, it didn't seem like it was going to break at all. I know a welder so I am going to go up to them tomorrow, I don't think the screw is big enough to have a slot cut into it and still have material left to not just be rounded out.

I'd try filing flats on the outside, rather than cutting a screwdriver slot.
Should be able to turn it with needle-nosed pliers or such.

That's a fiddly little bit of welding otherwise...brass or steel?

All the best,

Filing flats could work. It is a fiddly bit of welding, if they say it cant be done I will look at other options.

Looking at the pics the marks from the QR seem to suggest that you plonk the wheel at the end of the dropout ?

Just file it off and get riding :)

Shaun

Took it to a friend of mines welding firm and it was decided that as its not a crucial item, the risk of damage to the frame getting it out out weighed any gains. So it's going to stay, I've filed it down some. Bit of a shame really but life is short.

Back