That little hole

Before that campag thing some frame builders brazed on a "mushroom" on the seat stay a couple of inches from the dropout and you hooked the chain to that when changing the wheel..........never really caught on LOL

Shaun

OK next question

Why has my bike got no number on the bottom of it?

Attachments

• rossin 002.jpg
    rossin 002.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 560
Actually that should read. Why doesn't my push iron have a number on it?

Sorry too much Pastis. :facepalm: :facepalm:

My Bob Jackson has no number anywhere, neither did my Cliff Pratt :D

Shaun
PS The number might be somewhere else.

You're a mine of information Shaun.
Does anyone know where the numbers are hidden on a Rosin Super Record ( I think)?

Slightly off topic..... I had to deal with the foreign lightweight stuff when I worked at the bike shop in the 70's

Nightmare as they had importers (Elsmar), Distributors (Holdsworths), people who did both (Chicken and son, Ron Kit) plus reps who seemed to get stuff from anybody they could LOL. Not knocking the reps as I have some 70's unbranded nice kit.

Anyway, UK frame suppliers seemed pretty anal about numbers stamped on frames as that is what we paid them against......not so anything from abroad (Italian, French, Spanish) who never seemed to actually make or do anything in August.. It's like the whole of europe shut down for a summer holiday. !!

Imported Frame numbers were always hit and miss and when slotted bottom brackets started I just think they could not be arsed to find somewhere to stamp a number.....

Shaun

Yep, I guess thats the Victorian influence of categorising and logging everything that has resulted in our frame number obsession.

I am not fussed about the lack of one but I hoped that it would be able to identify the bike I have here, before it gets a much needed respray.

The reason why nothing gets made in Europe in July/August is that they hold a collective industry holiday for several weeks.

By the way I found a Portecena or two for sale on ebay in the US. Could be nice to have one of those on the bike for amusement. It means that I might have to do away with the Rossin pantographed levers that I have on it. Not so keen on that mind.

Back