''Wiggo the joker''

Returning home from a lovely sunny ride about a fortnight ago, a fellow cyclist was coming towards me and I cheerily raised my hand in greeting. His response was to tap his helmet (I wasn't wearing one) and, patronisingly, shake his head. I'm not sure if he heard what I said in reply, in hindsight hopefully not.

I read wiggo rides oval chain rings :shock: sounds like oval tech is making a come back :LOL:

NAILTRAIL96":2bqahukh said:
There's a big difference between getting knocked off your bike by a bus and getting ran over by one.
Why can't we have some impetus and ad campaigns for vehicle drivers to be more careful around cyclists?

After all, years ago we had "Think Bike" for motorbikes.

Why is it the seemingly only effort that's made is to suggest that vulnerable road users should make efforts to protect themselves against the inevitable?

Raging_Bulls":1c76i1gl said:
Can't we just throw Wiggo in front of a bus? If he's wearing a helmet, there's no danger involved, right?

a little bit of jealousy from the belgium. we are the new cycling superpower ,the day,s of eddy are long gone :LOL:

matthew71":2x8if2p3 said:
we are the new cycling superpower ,the day,s of eddy are long gone :LOL:

Nah, not as long as we can keep Boonen away from the coke. :LOL:

I don't care about pro cycling, but those safety remarks and that talk about helmet laws for cyclists simply infuriate me.

tintin40":l22uk4i0 said:
I read wiggo rides oval chain rings :shock: sounds like oval tech is making a come back :LOL:

a lot of bikes had them fitted on the tour...made me go ooooh...when i saw them.

as for the think bike campaign ....norfolk cc is still doing it the last time i looked in the stores we had tonnes of stuff being prepped.as for the helmet thing ...i saw that interview and they pretty much cornered him on it and he had no choice but to give that reply at the time.in my classes no kid does the lesson with out a helmet..as an adult we have the freedom of choice...if we let kids have the same ...theyd be off playing in the road and staying up till 4 in the morning eating candyfloss.so we should make the choice for them .
oh and the wiggins shot with his son on the champs...fab picture ...the kids not going to get walloped as the road was closed at the time.

gibbleking":1ocwptwt said:
as for the think bike campaign ....norfolk cc is still doing it the last time i looked in the stores we had tonnes of stuff being prepped.as for the helmet thing ...i saw that interview and they pretty much cornered him on it and he had no choice but to give that reply at the time.in my classes no kid does the lesson with out a helmet..as an adult we have the freedom of choice...if we let kids have the same ...theyd be off playing in the road and staying up till 4 in the morning eating candyfloss.so we should make the choice for them .
oh and the wiggins shot with his son on the champs...fab picture ...the kids not going to get walloped as the road was closed at the time.
Thing is, in years gone by, we've had Darth, I mean David Prowse doing the green cross road thing, your-letter-was-only-the-start-of-it (<deity>-rest-his-soul-and-soles) doing the clunk click every trip thing, countless drink driving campaigns, and anti-speed things, why can't we have some real, thrusting, national impetus on drivers being more careful around, and giving more room to, cyclists.

If, over decades, drink driving, and speeding can be made (kind of) socially unacceptable - at least in polite, middle-class after dinner conversations, with a frigid-as-an-eskimo martini in hand, then why not for marginalising cyclists by vehicles?

Well I already know - there's idiots-for-pay like Clarkson, planting that seed of boorishness in the unthinking, and for the authorities there's no quick wins in stats / crimes, automation, or easy revenue to gather.

All the while, all we seemingly ever get is lecturing to the victims, and let's just forget why, eh...

Helmets......reflectors front and rear and on wheels, riding fast on pavements (on the increase)........i think there needs to be a review on both sides of the coin on cycle rules as the number of cyclists is growing.

A helmet saved my life off road, and i knew a man with a badly cracked scull who wasn't wearing one and hit his head on a curb on road.

I don't wear one on-road......but i know head injuries are difficult to treat due to having a brain inside compared to a broken leg.

greenstiles":hy1mqi9t said:
Helmets......reflectors front and rear and on wheels, riding fast on pavements (on the increase)........i think there needs to be a review on both sides of the coin on cycle rules as the number of cyclists is growing.

A helmet saved my life off road, and i knew a man with a badly cracked scull who wasn't wearing one and hit his head on a curb on road.

I don't wear one on-road......but i know head injuries are difficult to treat due to having a brain inside compared to a broken leg.

And there in lies the real problem, a lot of drivers see cyclists as aggressive, selfish and showing little regard for the law of the land.

You don't have to drive for long before you see cyclists taking up a whole lane, jumping red lights, almost never indicating and riding on and off pavements with out warning.

There's a real them and us divide between drivers and cyclists and it goes both ways.

Back