Not retro, but advice needed please

was8v":2kkqfvh5 said:
You sure you need the triple? Double gives just as good a spread most of the time as you can use all the gears.

There's always plenty of overlap, but a smaller front chainring in the triple will always give a wider spread of gears.

The Moda looks like it has a 39T ring - 39/25 is a bit too much like hard work on steep UK climbs. A 30T ring is handy for long rides if you feel absolutely shattered...and who can say that's never happened to them?

Personally I'd take the Cube - having something versatile with a triple means you'll ride it more.

In that case it's still the Cube. I'm convinced that the resale value will be better with Shimano shifters rather than Microshift.

Barneyballbags":3m86kiby said:
daccordimark":3m86kiby said:
Are you sure you'll save money on the NHS C2W scheme? I only ask because following the rule change recently people on our scheme (also NHS) had to pay a hefty final amount to keep the bike. In the end savings were only a few pounds.

As for which bike I've no experience of either but the 105 brake/gear levers looks better than the MicroShift ones on the Moda.

Mark.

My monthly salary sacrifice would be £83.33 gross, or £53.66 net.

I've been given a breakdown of the calculations (using my actual salary and tax code of 810L) and I'd end up paying £763.92. This is comprised of 12 payments of £53.66 (£643.92), plus the £120 additional payment at the end of the scheme.

I'd save £235.08 as both bikes retail for £999 :)

That's definitely a good deal still - I wonder where our guys went wrong!

Mark.

How near are you to retiring?........remember that this scheme effectively reduces your "salary" as it is a salary sacrifice and that it affects your pension.

Shaun

Midlife":16iij9nh said:
How near are you to retiring?........remember that this scheme effectively reduces your "salary" as it is a salary sacrifice and that it affects your pension.

Shaun

I'm about 35 years away ;)

C2W

Thats about a 25% discount which maybe able to get anyway as the 2013 models are apparently coming out earlier.

If you can extend the agreement, it makes much better value

Re: C2W

samsbike":1tb8i71w said:
Thats about a 25% discount which maybe able to get anyway as the 2013 models are apparently coming out earlier.

If you can extend the agreement, it makes much better value

You can't extend the agreement and one of the stipulations from most bike shops is that you have to pay full RRP (or whatever their non sale price is) for the bike.

I'm more than happy enough. I've now found a Cube Peloton Race 53cm which is the bike I wanted, and I'm saving a decent chunk of money off the RRP over the course of the 12 months. There is a limited time window in which to get a bike on the scheme so I'm not going to wait around on the off chance that a 2013 model might arrive a bit sooner.

Back