Past master re-discovers wheel building: what's changed?

You should not have to pay mopre than £40 for D/B spokes and labour. I am basing that on Sapim race spokes that I use. Dunno what Orbea charges though.

bm0p700f":3gvhqg4x said:
You should not have to pay mopre than £40 for D/B spokes and labour. I am basing that on Sapim race spokes that I use. Dunno what Orbea charges though.

Thanks for that. Is that £40 for both wheels or for each wheel?

In 1960 my standard charge for a wheel rebuild was 12/6d, or 62p, including spokes. My largest single delivery of spokes was 120 gross (1 gross = 144). This was for a one man business. My preferred spokes for decent wheels were 15/17g stainless which cost about £1 per gross. Preferred spoke key was the cyclo half spherical case hardened with slots for the spoke nipple. It could be spun round without wearing the fingers too much. I referred to 14/16g as treetrunks.

The right hand turned the spoke key while the left felt the tension. The wheel would be finished by turning approximately quarter turns on groups of 4 spokes diametrically opposite.
At this stage the spoke could twist more than a quarter turn so feeling the point at which it actually tightened was easy with the left hand. So the spoke nipple was turned until the spoke stopped twisting, then a quarter turn, then back to undo the twist. There was then no need for the dramatic pinging which was impressive but unnecessary.
I think rims are rather probably more accurate and rigid than they were.

Keith

Seeing as most shops charge about (probably no more) £25 per wheel build and Sapim Race an be had for £0.45 each (either me or Spa Cycles do them for that price) then that would total ~£40 per wheel for a 32 spoked one. Some places may charge less for building though.

Latest posts

Back