'97 saracen hardtrax 'pics with manitou mars on now'

It's way overkill, but the right hand lever was a bargin at 16 brand new from a lbs closing down, if I can get simular deals no reason not to, and its not like it has to stay on this bike.........

Plus with it being my dads old bike means more to me as well

Right guys I've decided pretty much I want to go back to a canti on the front to gain tyre clearence while keeping these tyres, I've got one on the back but can I heck as like get it tofeel good and not a spongy mess, how do you set them up properly? Need a full guide I think. Tried various things but it always feels spongy and down on power and I'm not willing to put on the front until I can get it to feel right.

So, help please?

Right guys I've decided pretty much I want to go back to a canti on the front to gain tyre clearence while keeping these tyres, I've got one on the back but can I heck as like get it tofeel good and not a spongy mess, how do you set them up properly? Need a full guide I think. Tried various things but it always feels spongy and down on power and I'm not willing to put on the front until I can get it to feel right.

So, help please?

Cheers for that, read it in depth and it's helped a lot, think I'm going to oil and lube everything now I've got an idea what I'm doing and possibly new pads instead of the 2 year old at the very least, if not original pads.

So today I've done a lot, inspired by a trip to MetaMatt (who btw didn't get old skool builds when I met him has now got 2 old steel bikes ;) nice ones at that :D) I've bought a set of slx and ayura (Sp) wheels, swapped the freehub body to one that'll fit a 9 speed cassette on (didn't tell me that did you matt? ;)) as well as the chain off another bike and a shifter I had stockpiled.

So it's now running cantis, 3x9 (possibly 2x9 soon.......), and maxis minion dh tyres (inspired by that - a classic bike for everyday Marin with it's aggressive tyres on)

Looks good, feels good, going to see how it rides tomorrow and will try to get some snaps to :D

Went on a right ride today with MetaMatt, he was on his 150mmish travel full susser, through hope in the peak district.

Think I secretly impressed him with what it can do ;)

Took a real beating, few issues with a few solutions to be sorted for the next ride though, grips to swap for lizard skin ones, brake levers swapped to my odyssey ones, 3 finger levers arnt for me!!, cassette off the Scott and a gear set up, then decide what to do with the bars situation, wider is a must but is higher???

Pictures to upload soon :)

jamescameraupload2232012001.jpg

jamescameraupload2232012002.jpg

few pics from its first outing, a lot has changed since then, more recent pics soon :)

Hey! As a a fellow Hardtrax aficionado, how are you getting along with yours, got any of those more updated pics..?

I will get on with the more updated photos, a lot has changed and there's still more to go!

Notable highlights include now running a xt rear mech and a Scott seat for more comfort.

It's done a lot of miles including doing group rides (I work for the council) over near cresswel to clumber, and a few routes around the peak district. Jacobs ladder was fun, for the guy with 6" of sogginess and hydro's, a little more challenging for me though!

Still to decide on the bar situation, and s crying out for a good brake set up, anyone in Derbyshire/Chesterfield willing to help?

Osella - have you got a thread/any pictures of yours?

Latest posts

Back