28th Jan - Whiteways - now with added aftermath

**RIDE REPORT**

the day started off chilly and breezy, Rousing my buddy with a cup of tea and a kick we got ready for the day. Porridge and coffee later we got down to the bikes to find Mick already here.

A quick brush down to get rid of the last rides mud, an oil of the chain and we were set.

Quick ride to the station and a chat whilst we waited for the train..

Falling out of the train and we were met by Danno, Ian and Marcus from another carriage and a Green Rabbit on the platform.

The ride up to the fisheries went without incident, but shortly after the pleasant cycle by the lakes we got our first mechanical - a flat tyre. Quickly changed (as best as I could manage anyway) we carried on, only to be brought up short again not much further on mid climb by our second. Me again, this time a touch more serious..

hanging_around.jpg

Caught by a bramble, the mech had been pulled into the wheel and ripped out of the hangar. Still, undaunted I walked to the top of the hill and the salvage operation began.

Single speed my only option, I attempted to find some happy medium between slippage, ramping, centrifugal force and chain line. in the end though it was all bollocks and I was screwed :LOL:

Wu and Klein Mad Chris joined us during the cursing and admitting defeat for the time being we moved on towards the cafe.

Freewheeling down and pushing up, everyone took pity and we adjusted for the shortest possible route to the cafe.

More fannying about shortening the chain came to no avail. Fortunately, Klein Mad Chris came to the rescue and lent me one of the bikes in his cave. So while the rest of the group set about on the first proper trail of the day, Chris and I set off to his cave to collect a weekend warrior full-sus Whyte.

On arriving back at the cafe we found that the rest of the group has just finished their loop, a quick once over and "oohs" and "aaahs" from the group, a pasty and some chocolate, and we were set to go when from out of the woods marched a chap with a bird.

He quickly off-loaded it on Marcus and went to get himself a cuppa..

NewFriend.jpg

NewFriend2.jpg

Wu had already peeled off, and fearing that we wouldn't have time to complete the SDW we set off for a quick loop round the woods again.

Anthony announced his arrival just before we finished that loop and once we'd said our hellos we set off again. Ian, Marcus and Anthony finishing the ride on the SDW, Danno, Mick, my buddy, TGR and myself choosing a more direct ride back through Angmering estate.

Some fairly serious hills, very sore legs, an empty stomach and a very serious craving for a pint later we arrived back home. Most of us (except me) had been riding and chatting for some 7.5 hours.

Great day out :cool:

What a great day (except for the mechanicals :( ) Really nice to catch up with you all, and meet some new faces too. Good show on all the Oranges too :D

Really impressed with whiteways, can't wait to try it in the dry.

Got home just after dark, after a seriously quick ride over the SDW. Got dropped by Ian at the lights in shoreham, and never saw him again! (Did you get back ok?)

Got to say though, the hawk was the highlight for me. Made my week :D

Thanks to Max for organising, looking forward to the next time

Re: Last one

BobCatMax":2onqx98m said:
the smile says it all

DSC_0162-1.jpg

How can you tell if the bird is smiling ?? :LOL:

Great ride though ..apart from Max loosing his rear mec :(
and good to meet marcus, Ian and Anthony
looking foward to the next ride and when things start to
dry out again !! :)
Mick :)

brilliant!

Forgot to add to my shame, a massive massive thank you to Chris for lending me the hell hound to salvage a days riding out of seemingly total ruin.

As Marcus said, the fruity turn out was impressive. My buddy Tom on a CR16, Dan and Ian on P7's (I think) Marcus on a 5 and TGR on a clockwork..5 out of 10.

The trails were generally very muddy, and i can't wait for summer....

Thanks for organising Max. Good luck with your mech hanger. I would have thought a decent LBS would be able to fit one of those adapters for you, and it shouldn't need to be a frame builder job. It's much better that the thread stripped than to have snapped the hanger!

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to chat to everybody, I didn't realise you were all taking the southerly route. Your buddy Tom seemed to have an identical 1996 C16R to mine, but didn't even get a chance to say so, let alone swap serial numbers. ;)

The SDW was fine, fairly dry, hills all sweet, recommended.

Some more pictures of the day.

The long lonely walk, after Max's second mechanical failure in 300 meters!!

Picture100.jpg

Pictures of the attempted single speed fix. Note my mate Iain intently watching and trying to learn how to "bodge it on the trail" Retro style...

The Problem:

Picture003-1.jpg

The Fix:

Picture004-1.jpg

The Waiting:

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture020.jpg

@Marcus: Iain did indeed make it to Sainsburys, the wrong one! A quick phone call and a mile later he arrived at the jet-wash to spray off the mud!!

@Max: The bike Iain was riding was the Mrs' 1992 Orange Aluminium Elite

I don't think I've ever been that muddy after a ride before. Thoroughly enjoyed it

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture008.jpg

BobCatMax":2tbhm7th said:
Caught by a bramble, the mech had been pulled into the wheel and ripped out of the hangar. Still, undaunted I walked to the top of the hill and the salvage operation began.

Single speed my only option, I attempted to find some happy medium between slippage, ramping, centrifugal force and chain line. in the end though it was all bollocks and I was screwed :LOL:
Has anybody tried zip ties for this kind of get-you-home bodge? You've still got the B-tensioner to stop it spinning and say two zip ties across one another, really tight. I wonder whether that would keep it located just enough?

Not that I carry zip ties myself of course. :oops: Nor a chain splitter, nor scissors, nor etc

Back