Bike Diet Thread, it's just too darn heavy

definetly what FluffyChicken has noticed that steel seatpost has to go to save wait for sure, also whats that saddle :D Turbo :cool:

reflectors have to go. that's free

take things off and weigh them

Find out how long the BB axle is, and try to buy a chainset to suit. It'll probably be around 113, which gives a wealth of good shimano options. Aim for Deore LX as a minimum. it'll have much lighter arms and alloy chainrings for potential savings into the hundreds of grams.

you will NOT save large amounts of weight on derailleurs etc. the best places to save weight are on parts that are large areas of metal.

oh and that saddle has to go, if not because it's heavy then because it offends my eyes

dont buy a bolt kit at this stage!

in fact, i have a vetta saddle of around 230g you can have for postage. it's a bit scuffed, but it is nice and light.

i imagine if you post the size, someone will probably karma you a seatpost too.

I know I am going to get dragged out and stoned for saying this......... But Gripshift and seperate levers will save loads over that Alivio set-up

sell the whole thing and buy a lighter bike...

On a more helpful note, the kores have to go - 1.2lb of pedals??? Even cheap spd M520 pedals are lighter by over 30%, chap exustars a little lighter again. You should be able to blag some cheap s/h...

As an indication of just how heavy your components are, this is the alloy tubed version of your frame...

IMG00120-20110603-0600.jpg

...and without putting anything fancy on it, and with the Marzocchi fork, it weighs 26lbs; so you should be able to get yours sub-25lbs quite easily.

Latest posts

Back