1988 Peugeot Aravis

Time for an update...

Thanks all for the advice and thoughts - very helpful! I've decided to go with the consensus and clean the frame up rather than go for a respray. Here's what it looked like after being stored for ten years...

dirtyframeset1.jpg

rustybb.jpg

I stripped it right down, used white spirit to get all the WD40 off. I then tried one of those fibreglass pens (for getting the rust out of stone chips on cars). Seemed to work reasonably well. I T-Cut'd the frame, then applied two coats of white 'Colour Match' polish from Halfords. Bit of Autosol cleaner on the chrome and it's turned out quite nicely.

cleanframeset.jpg

It's not perfect, but its certainly very presentable. I'm happy and it's not so perfect that i'll be afraid to ride it. To tidy it up a bit I might get a new Peugeot transfer reproduced for the chainstay (it's a bit tatty). Can anyone recommend someone good for this?

Who fancies a trip down cycle component memory lane..?

The parts for the rebuild are starting to accumulate. Believe it or not these are a set of brand new Michelin Hi Lite Super Comp HD's - seeing as this is the forum for skinny wheeled bikes I thought 20mm tyres should do the trick... I got these from CampyOldy (the proprietor and I go back a long way in the cycle trade!).

hilites.jpg

And what about this. A brand new white Turbo saddle. Seems Selle Italia have started making these again. As such, don't spend £140 on an ebay one!

turbosaddle.jpg

I always fancied some of these - some stylish Modolo brake levers. These were the ones Mavic used with 'New Success' calipers in their groupsets of the vintage. These are also NOS from a friendly bloke in Hungary of all places.

modololevers.jpg

I'm still after a few odds and ends. I need a rear Q/R skewer for my Mavic 501 hub(s). I'm also on the lookout for a Mavic inch headset - the one I have is 1 1/8th (doh!). It seems likely that I'm going for some H+ Son 'MA40 - alike' rims (unless anyone has some better suggestion for a classic looking rim).

End of update!

Looking forward to seeing your Pug all up together.
I'm a fan of the decent Peugeots....

Pug Love..... ha!

Looks like it has scrubbed up well :) If it's not a cheeky question: where did the saddle come fron ?

Shaun

Absolutely Brilliant as they do it in black as well :) Great find :)

All I have to do is get rid of all the viruses I have from opening a .zip file after getting an e-mail saying I had bought tickets from American Airlines...trashed the computer. spent hours on it today with Malwarebytes, superantispyware and the like :(

Surprised the PC hasn't crashed while typong LOL

If you get an e-mail from American Airlines just delete it !!

Cheers

Shaun

What a tremendous article.
Gripped also because I have the less classic/lets be honest loud - red and white, but also, just to see how you enjoy it in the future.
Good luck, a nice dilemma.

Back