Hybrid Tyre choices for 'rougher' stuff.

Scougar

Retrobike Rider
So I have a hybrid bike.. and it's currently shod with a conti double fighter II on the front, and a no-name on the back. Both are skinny.

I want to take on some of the stuff at Haldon Trail place in December, and wondered what sort of tyre I could get away with on the Hybrid for this, hopefully that will save my actual rims.

You need to determine how wide a tyre your hybrid can take. I have a Townsend :oops: hybrid that can fit 28 x 1.75" Schwalbe tyres. I call this steed my 28er.

Hybrid tyres up to 1.8" wide are available after that your into 29er territory which will require much more clearance. There is loads of choice in the 38 - 42 mm width size with every tread design. Conti Twisters are a good aggressive choice in many widths and diameters for very reasonable money.

My bike is a Scott Sportster P3 which I believe is a 29er? (700cc?)

Specs on the wheels are:

Hubs: Front: Scott SCO 31, Rear: Shimano FH-RM60
Rims: Alex G 6000, 32-hole
Tyres: 700 x 37c Continental Double Fighter 2

700c is apparently the same as 29er (just narrower), but I don't know if the width of the 700cc rim may not be able to accomodate an MTB 29er style tyre safely?

Be warned, your Scott is not a 29er, it is a hybrid as original spec is for 35mm wide tyres. Very important to measure the clearance available between frame and tyres. You might get away with a 29er tyre if there is plenty of room but remember 29er tyres tend to be at least 53mm wide so it could be a very tight fit. I reckon you probably can get away with 42mm wide but as I say its important to measure the clearance.

29ers are based on 700c wheels but when fitted with fat tyres, 2.1 - 2.4 inch wide are normal it takes the diameter of the wheel to as near as dam 29 inches. ;)

lol, anyone got a 29er tyre in plymouth I could try for size?

I'll get the measuring tape out and check distance between brake levers etc and height.

Back