Santa Cruz Tazmon

Hi Phill, Ben here, hope you're keeping well, looked at this thread as I'd love to get another Tazmon myself, it still hurts that mine was stolen bitd! The Tazmon was the bike that convinced me that full suss was not just a gimmick, great bike! I'd definitely try polishing it if I were you. In my head mine looked awesome polished (although this maybe a rose tinted memory as I have no decent photo's). The disc mount looks great compared to the one I had, instead of a nice machined bracket it had a machined eyelet bolted to the top of the caliper that held to the stay with a jubilee clip!

Hey Phill , I just got a 1996 S.C Tazmon and was wondering if you had to remove the crank and sprocket to get the rear triangle out of the main frame ...it's driving me crazy ! I need to post up a pic of mine ,thanks man.

Hi Txtaz,
Welcome to an exclusive club!

I would guess that you do need to remove the cranks.
To be honest I have never tried because I always remove those first so it is easy to get the pivot bolt out.

I'll post a couple of pics later so you can see how to manouvre it.

Phill

Txtaz":rvg7ldyd said:
Hey Phill , I just got a 1996 S.C Tazmon and was wondering if you had to remove the crank and sprocket to get the rear triangle out of the main frame ...it's driving me crazy ! I need to post up a pic of mine ,thanks man.

How is this coming on? I have mine coming this week so will be following your thread with interest :D

PS
Interested in the lemon front rim ;) and what exactly is wrong with the rear hub? Broken how :?

Arrived now so ill start my own thread :D

Attachments

• santacruz tazmon 001 (Large).JPG
    santacruz tazmon 001 (Large).JPG
    147 KB · Views: 2,035
'Tis going very slow because of work at the moment, looking like being a christmas project now.
I've given the rear a nice polish, but still have to get the front soda blasted ready for polishing.
Need to get a main pivot bolt manufactured, then I can start to think about putting it back together!

The lemon rim will be off soon, shall give you first dibs when its free. :cool:

dyna-ti":6p1hewn9 said:
How is this coming on? I have mine coming this week so will be following your thread with interest :D

PS
Interested in the lemon front rim ;) and what exactly is wrong with the rear hub? Broken how :?

Arrived now so ill start my own thread :D

Finally got around to having the frame soda blasted.

Good news is that there are no cracks anywhere, bad news is that there is just far too many awkward bits (and pitting) for me to attempt to polish it.
I really quite like the natural finish though, and think it contrasts well with the polished rear.
No idea how well it would last though, so think painting it is probably back on the cards.

Plus, I want to finish this in one of the original options really.

New pivot bolt and bearings are on the way, need to sort the decals next.

BareFrameRTDetail.jpg

Looks good Phill :cool:

If you like the "raw" finish why don't you just get it Laquered :?:

You could get it done the same place as me as its just round the corner from you ;)

Raw finish looks stunning :cool:

Reminds me of a full sus Dekerf l saw on here a few months back.

Gruff":1hvdm91u said:
Looks good Phill :cool:

If you like the "raw" finish why don't you just get it Laquered :?:

You could get it done the same place as me as its just round the corner from you ;)

Thanks.
Don't think I will leave it as is, because of the corrosion pitting, and it has marked really easily where I have re-inserted the rear triangle.

Gruff, where are you getting your Kona lacquered?

Back