SDW 2012 Now with date added! p5

I had a stab at this with some friends at the end of August. Set off from Winchester at 6.30am with a view to getting to Eastbourne before the last train back. We were doing OK for time (even accounting for a puncture and a leisurely lunch at Amberley) until one of the party caught a flint in their front tyre and crashed heavily just short of Devil's Dyke. He bashed himself up pretty well, although nothing broken. By the time we'd sorted all that out we weren't going to have time to finish the rest of the ride (especially as it gets hillier the further east you go) so we bailed and got the train back from Portslade. It's a box that needs ticking :)

Did Petersfield-Eastbourne and back over four days in the early 90s, that was a good weekend.

The double people are clearly bonkers, I can't imagine having the willpower to reach the end just to immediately turn around and go back the other way..

Interested

This sounds very interesting, the last ride was fun, it would be nice to do some miles in such good company again. I might have to opt for slightly less retro machinery this time round.

The last post does raise a question - if it's a RetroBike ride, are we allowed to use modern bikes? Or do we ride what we like?

And did you have any idea of numbers in mind? We (OP) presumably have to decide on how many is the optimal number for this - hotels/accom limit numbers.
The Leith Hill ride was a little cumbersome numbers-wise - not that we'd get 47. Yesterday's Bedgebury ride was much easier with 5 - but that is probably too small a group.

No rules have been set, but if you want to ride modern thats fine, but you will have to be the but of all micky taking, and buy the first Round !

I think you can ride what you like. It's a long ride so whatever you feel comfortable riding. Personaly, i'm going to do it on my rigid p7. I have been riding her a lot, and my wrists/arms don't seem to suffer to much. Plus, I have had loads of adventures on the rc200 over the years, so it's the new (to me) bikes turn for an adventure.

In terms of numbers, I agree a larger group would be problematic. Both in terms of accoms, and also more of a chance of mechanicals, punctures etc.

If there is massive interest maybe it could be done in two groups (different days)? Just a thought.....

I vote we leave it until after xmas to see how many are interested, then make a decision as to what to do.

Back