SDW 2012 Now with date added! p5

Klein-Mad-Chris":p205zziw said:
This is something I've been wanting to give a go for a while aswell, I can provide a bike workshop/storage for the night which you could even kip in if needed in Amberley I'll prob nip home and be back in morning. Will keep an eye on the post after Christmas and we can go from there. I'll get the first beer in the Jon as will def be on "modern shit"

Chris

A workshop could be a godsend if any of use need to tweak, swap or repair anything.
It also means that if we can find B&B accom in Amberley, it won't need to be able to house the bikes as well.
Do you reckon Amberley Castle will do us a group discount?? :LOL:

I did this in 1 day last year to raise money for British Heart Foundation and by the time I got to Amberly from Winchester my thigh muscles seized up. If it wasn't for my companion I would have thrown in the towel.

I had been doing plenty of 30-40 mile jaunts for months prior to the event but the extra mileage was tough. I recommend training hard for this.

I might be up for it again if I can get the training in

I spotted that the other day too Carge,

I was planning on it over xmas, as it takes in a couple of my local routes, but i'm lazy and the mud put me off :oops:

happy to organise something round and about if you'd like..?

shamelessly stolen from their gps site and butchered to go past my house (the very bottom of the circuit)

I also got handed something cut out of the argus (local rag) by a colleague

www.theargus.co.uk/argusappeal/cyclechallenges

The Argus":kl9v81ra said:
The South Downs Way Challenge
Friday, May 25-Sunday, May 27: Winchester to Eastbourne.

Early bird registration *£75 (£80 from January 1, 2012)

*Minimum sponsorship £150.

Register now by clicking here or email: southdowns@theargus.co.uk for more information.

Registration form available here. Please send with payment to:

The Argus Appeal
Argus House
Crowhurst Road
Brighton
BN1 8AR

I'd be interested in a ride over some of the SDW - aka your route.
It would take me 2 hours to get down there, unless I plan a "family" weekend at the outlaws in Haywards Heath, thus killing two birds with one stone :)

Not interested in the Argus one - our RB jaunt is fine by me.

Carge":2dy50y2h said:
Do we want to consider the
Wiggle Southern Rough Ride
in March as a warm up event?

There's a 27 or 36 mile option around Storrington.

As I haven't ridden that area before, I might sign up to get a taste of what I'm letting myself in for.
http://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-southern-rough-ride-2012/

I'm interested but seems expense for my local trails. The http://www.trailbreak.co.uk/index.php rides are the same but half the price. They have rides coming up in Surrey and Duncton (near storrington)

As BCM mentioned - he might sort a ride in the area.
I'm not local - Amberley is two hours drive for me.

Presumably, most of you locals have ridden out on bits of the SDW quite a bit?
I'd settle for a ride that just went out and back along the SDW, a recce ride so to speak - 20 miles out - 20 miles back :) Take in a couple of bigger hills

It would give people a chance to assess whether this is the ride for them before they commit and find it isn't.

Carge":1xxi2g6b said:
As BCM mentioned - he might sort a ride in the area.
I'm not local - Amberley is two hours drive for me.

Presumably, most of you locals have ridden out on bits of the SDW quite a bit?
I'd settle for a ride that just went out and back along the SDW, a recce ride so to speak - 20 miles out - 20 miles back :) Take in a couple of bigger hills

It would give people a chance to assess whether this is the ride for them before they commit and find it isn't.

Fine, if you can pick a train station that works for you, its not a problem. Possibly something like Amberley and go to Brighton and back or just do Brighton to Eastbourne, there are a few places. Earlier part of the ride (Winchester to Amberley) there aren't many stations nearby.

Winchester to Chichester is about 35 miles offroad, but then 10 miles on road to get to CHI, so not sure if that works for you.

Ultimately the run entails doing quite a few 100m to 200m climbs, with the odd river crossing that sees you near sea level. none of them are that gradual but they are fairly even, if a bit steep.

over the whole run, I think Brighton to Eastbourne is possible the nicest section, and there are a few more villages that end, the first bit is a little sparse but none the less, its a good run and I don't think you would begrudge any of it.

excepting the hill out of Amberley, which is steep as **** :)

(edited for typo's)

FWIW I've ridden the SDW-in-a-day a few times. Once was last May Bank Holiday and we only encountered only a couple of other riders - it was very blowy and overcast.
Mid-summer is a lot busier - BHF run a charity ride and it gets pretty busy and also lots of sponsored walkers. First time I rode it was the weekend after midsummer and it was pretty busy.
Prolonged dry periods make a huge difference to trail conditions IME - heavy rain make the chalky clay very slippery and hard going.
Thinking of doing a 2 day SDW double on my singlespeed CX this summer - but not sure there's anyone stupid enough I know who wants to do it?

Back