Bargain Ebay bike lights

Scougar":3fg1tdty said:
Well... the '1200 lumen' (LMAO.. yeah right!) light has been shipped, so hopefully just 7-10 days wait until I can try it out (and I'll be cycling every day.

Oh crap.. realised I don't actually have a cycling rain jacket lol. Oh dear. Any one got a second hand one?

Try Ribble, £32 for, um, something good.

Received my 1200 lumen (not) light.

First thoughts:

Much heavier than the P7 lights (Was a fair while ago I held one, but it seems heavier).
Battery definately needs waterproofing.
Pretty good build quality/durable*
With the exception of the switch on the back which I don't think is great.
Does not seem to 'flood' the area as much as a P7 unit.

I think if I ordered again, I'd get the P7 magicshine, mainly due to the weight.

It is however very bright, I just need to try going out and seeing what it's like on the road.

Scougar":26gj0ajh said:
Well... the '1200 lumen' (LMAO.. yeah right!) light has been shipped, so hopefully just 7-10 days wait until I can try it out (and I'll be cycling every day.

Oh crap.. realised I don't actually have a cycling rain jacket lol. Oh dear. Any one got a second hand one?

have a look at the dare2be website - essentially regattas mountain sport stuff. i got a load of stuff a few weeks ago and everything is fantastic kit for the money.

a pack-down waterproof which goes to about a cricket ball and a half in size was only £25 iirc, they've got some cracking windproof tops as well that were a staggering £9.50 each and they are great in this sort of weather (where you don't feel the cold once your moving but need something a bit more substantial than a t-shirt!)

I have that pack down waterproof and it is great value and quality, not going to keep you dry if it really opens up but good for modrate or light rain and keeps you warm without sweating.

Anybody bought off this guy?

http://www.mtbbatteries.co.uk/index.html

Seems like the same light as being sold on e-Bay with better light switching mode but no exaggerated claims as to battery capacity or light output.

E-mailed him last week with a couple of questions as I was willing to pay more as he was a UK seller who would be more accessible to resolve any possible problems.

No reply or acknowledgement so just asking here if anybody has any info. Have e-mailed again today hoping for a reply this time.

ocp theres also a seller on ebay from glasgow who tests all batteries and lights and offers a guarantee.

I'm still waiting for mine(hopefully before friday :eek: ) but what I've read is that there is sometimes a shortage of thermal paste. I'll assume thermal paste helps transmit heat to the casing and heatsinks but can anyone tell me where to apply it?

The only time I've used thermal paste was when I had to change the fan on our computer's CPU heatsink.

From what I remember the CPU has a flat area that the heatsink is clamped against. I put the thermal paste in between the two flat areas where it was before. Didn't need much but it was an expensive tiny wee syringe that I got from local computer shop.
No idea what the inside of light looks like but it should be fairly obvious where it goes. ;)

Is the guy from Glasgow big_f_d_d? If so I found him on eBay when I was looking for these lights. He's selling Magicshine lights virtually the same as the lights the guy in my earlier link. £80 is more than the £67 that the mtbbatteries guy is selling them for. A lot more than the £30 odd that you can get them for from the Far East on eBay. Think I'll take the chance that the cheaper ones are just the same as the UK sellers much more expensive ones.

big_f_d_d's website http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/magicshine.html is quite good where he tests the lights and batteries. His tests of the Magicshine lights don't fill me with confidence as to the reliability of the Magicshine lights, chargers, and build.

Looks like if I don't get a reply soon from mtbbatteries I'll be buying from the Far East.

I did think about this light though,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250906539591? ... 1423.l2649

Again way cheaper than UK sellers who probably source their stock from same manufacturer.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Go here for a list of battery sizes :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

But be aware that you will put about 11.1 volts through the led if you just replace these directly with lithium equivalents. You would need to wire the battery holder differently in order to get it running in parallel to deliver only 3.7v's.

A better option is to just use regular AAA rechargeables. Sanyo Eneloops are very good.. but a little pricey. However, they are safer to charge than lithium.

Back