1972 Raleigh Professional Mark IV

Elev12k":e1n8e4ov said:
This was the Raleigh Professional frame I owned >> Raleigh Professional

Yep, that's what was called the Mark V at least in the USA... c. 1977-81 and modelled after the Raleigh SBDU Ilkeston frames except in Reynolds 531 not 753 with those cool Haden lugs and seat stay caps. A proper stage racing machine whereas the Mark IV/Giro d'Italia was more of a criterium design with high bb, fastback seatstays, short chainstays and more aggressive handling.

Stays of this type have been attributed to the framebuilder Tom Board. I have a 1967 Geoffrey Butler built by Cliff Shrubb with this type of stay, unlike the"shot-in"type sometimes used by the SBDU.

SBDU founded in 1974 at Ilkeston, and Carlton bought by Raleigh at the suggestion of a certain Mr Reg Harris.

Nice machine although a few hands too tall for me!

Roadking.

That's very nice and in great condition, I have a 1973 model that is 55cm ctc but with lots more scratches!

A beauty - love this model - same as giro D'Italia and Carlton Pro? very rare too - and yes, a very big girl !

Re:

Peter what size is the Pro pictured? And wat is the standover height? 85cm? Is the bottom bracket a little higher than a Carlton equivalent?

Thanks,
Gart

It's... big. 25 1/2" c-t (25" c-c) and the bb on these is a full 11" (I am pretty sure no different from the Carlton Giro d'Italias) and yes higher than conventional bb on other Carlton frames. It all translates into the only bike I own that is.. a tad too big. Not sure of the standover height. I have a 34" inseam.

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

Early Giro D'italia frames had the "Victor" seat cluster which only adorned purely Carlton badged frames :)

Really? I thought the original c. 1965 Giros had a different fastback stay arrangement that was NOT the beefier Brampton one that was indeed called the Victor and these had fractures hence the change. The Raleigh Mark II, III, and IV Professionals all had the Brampton Victor fastback stays.

Peter Kohler
Washington DC USA

Re:

It does look big.
Thanks for the information.
There are a few in the UK but not many. I really like the Raleigh Professional MKIV.

Latest posts

Back