An idiot's guide to retrobike #1 - 1990 Kona Fire Mountain

That is cool, I really want one of those to go with my other 2, I though have a thing about perfect paintwork, so would need an almost NOS frame to pop up :)
Love those colours though, you don't really see that blue on bikes.

sthodgson":1us9oe9b said:
Very nice. Just goes to show you don't need a high-end, bling-spec bike to make a good project. It's tough to decide about paint stripping but i think that looks fine. A few chips add a bit of character and certainly keeps costs down. It's very good for a bike of its age.
How does the 300lx kit perform?
Sam

Thanks! It's not the best and boy is it heavy. But it's scrubbed up well and the biospace rings are an interesting experience!

Personally I prefer the original parts and paint - keeps it honest. Once you start repainting etc, where do you stop?

Love the restraint and care that you've put into this, perfect example of restoration imho.

That's a great post, and being practical within your limits is sound advice. If you were to keep this and ride it, I would recommend a new chain. A new chain will reduce wear on those chain rings and sprockets; thus preserving the original a little longer.

Woz":2nzz8f76 said:
That's a great post, and being practical within your limits is sound advice. If you were to keep this and ride it, I would recommend a new chain. A new chain will reduce wear on those chain rings and sprockets; thus preserving the original a little longer.

Thanks for the advice. I really don't think this has done many miles at all, let along anything off road. There's no hint of slippage from the chain, but agreed a NOS would probably be a good idea.

As a teaser...here's the fleet ;) As mentioned the Lava Dome is next. Spotter badge for the next project after that (massively excited about that one) and of course old faithful - a white Kona :LOL: (nod to Charlieboy!)

dsc00076eog.jpg

Committed retrobiking al....nice job!.....after all the hard work the moment you stand back having finished the final task is great eh?......I have done it many times, and the love feeling like your standing next to an old friend after the hours spent polishing!... :D

Look forward to that lavadome. I had one in 91 but it was nicked. Nice positive suntour kit. Was a very racy bike that i didn't ride off road much but was good on road.
Think i might get me one of those again one day.
This build has inspired me to do my muddy fox seeker mega with original kit - 500lx which isn't the best but will do the job. Autosol works wonders on old parts that look beyond hope.

I'm not usually that keen on the early 'splatter' Konas but you've made such a good job of this one I could be persuaded otherwise... :cool:

Just one thing though, I'd lose the photo with your Postcode in if I were you - doesn't take much to Google and get a pretty good idea where your 'fleet' resides!

I'm not casting aspersions, that area is almost like my spiritual home (a girl was involved and still lives not that far from you over 30 years later! :oops: ), but some pretty unscrupulous people browse sites like this these days...

We_are_Stevo":21bh9mia said:
I'm not usually that keen on the early 'splatter' Konas but you've made such a good job of this one I could be persuaded otherwise... :cool:

Just one thing though, I'd lose the photo with your Postcode in if I were you - doesn't take much to Google and get a pretty good idea where your 'fleet' resides!

I'm not casting aspersions, that area is almost like my spiritual home (a girl was involved and still lives not that far from you over 30 years later! :oops: ), but some pretty unscrupulous people browse sites like this these days...

I bought this 2nd hand so I don't live at that location and nor does the previous owner so I think we're safe for now ;)

Really nice clean up job :cool: Did the same with my Tufftrax and was amazed at how it turned out considering when it arrived it was a tired looking old bike covered in 22 years worth of crud. The bonus for me is being able to keep most of the original kit. I always feel more attached to bikes that are original.

Back