My Retro ride - 95 Kona Explosif

I had a '95 explosif like that for 4 years from new - awesome bike but eventually snapped where the drive side chain stay joined the drop out. Good old Second Level warrantied it for a brand new Kula frame though. A good friend of mine has a 19' one that's immaculate and now his gf's bike......he'll sell it me real cheap one day as he just thinks it's an old nothing bike!!!!!

`
I have a similar dent in the toptube of my 95 Lavadome. Dont seem to make any trouble thou.
i think its cool that you keep it in that beaten up state, instead of respraying it. Looks like its geting allot of love to me ;)

Chris

BikePimp":sxdmkcwh said:
I could have sold you my 95 Explosif Shock with 300 miles a couple months ago.... I went to a bike swap meet at a local pub and got really wasted. After I blew $300 cash on old school stuff, I sold my frame for $80

Well, you made somebody happy!

That is a really sweet frame. I didn't know the 95 Explosif was like that - all three tubes ovalised, it looks just like the 96-97 frames, did it have Columbus Max tubes as well?

Original 95 Explosif specifications

bike name -------------95 Explosif
frame tubing ------------- Columbus MAX Race Light DB Stays
sizes ------------- 15/17/18/19/20
fork ------------- Marzocchi XCR or Project Two Triple Butted 410mm
headset ------------- Race Light Control Center
crankset ------------- Sugino Mighty 900
bottombracket ------------- KSS TLS
pedals ------------- Shimano Deore LX Clipless
chain ------------- KMC Super Shuttle
cassette ------------- Shimano Deore XT 11-28 8-speed
front derailleur -------------Shimano Deore XT
rear derailleur -------------Shimano Deore XT
shifters ------------- Grip Shift X-Ray or Suntour XC Pro Thumbies
handlebar ------------- Bontrager Titanium
stem ------------- Velocity HT
brakes ------------- Ritchey Logic
brake levers ------------- Race Light High Command
front hub ------------- Shimano Deore XT
rear hub ------------- Shimano Deore XT
spokes ------------- (F) 15G (R) 14G
front tire ------------- Mr. Dirt 26x2.06 Kevlar
rear tire ------------- The Cleaner 26x2.06 Kevlar
rims ------------- Mavic 217
saddle ------------- Race Light Equilibrium Hollow Cro-Mo
seatpost ------------- Race Light O-Beam
color ------------- Red Metallic
weight ------------- 24.4 lbs

The Late 95 like mine was the same but rigid forked only and in the matt red 96 Koa colour.

A few pictures of my latest dumbass modification to this much loved and much abused bike... it's now a part-time fixie!

ytzz7q.jpg

ytzz7v.jpg

ytzz83.jpg

I've bolted an 18tooth aluminium sprocket onto the splined disk mount of an old Hope hub. I used an aluminium sprocket because I couldn't drill through a steel one :idea:

I've been running the bike like this for a few months now and it's a total hoot. The rear wheel is spaced for flip-flop so I can change to singlespeed when out... but I've never changed it on a ride yet. If I go out fixie I stay fixie, which has lead to the odd sky-ground-sky-ground when I catch a pedal.

Lovin it :LOL:

Back