Any Kona Experts?

hunterst

Dirt Disciple
Hi Chaps

I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me.

I have just bought a Kona Lava Dome frame for my next project but i'm a tad confused about it.

The frame has sliding dropouts yet every other lava dome frame i have looked at doesn't seem to have them.

Are there any Kona experts here that can clear up the confusion.

Seller says the frame is early 2000's but i think its a bit later than that.

Would be great if anybody could shed any light on it

Pics of the frame

screen-capture-1-1.jpg

screen-capture.jpg

screen-capture-2.jpg

Thanks
Darran

Lava Domes were made with sliding dropouts, along with the Explosif, the Unit and the A. I'd say around 2004 - 2006.

Thanks Andy

So were they producing frames with both types of dropouts (fixed and sliding) at the same time?

hunterst":2yzlutaf said:
Thanks Andy

So were they producing frames with both types of dropouts (fixed and sliding) at the same time?

No, at the time that the Dedacciai Explosif was produced (with the sliding dropouts) there wasn't a conventional dropout version produced alongside it.
The Unit was basically an Explosif but without gear cable stops and the A was intended to be able to be run as a full suspension singlespeed, hence the BB concentric pivot and sliding dropouts.

Ok thanks for that info.

If i need to replace a dropout do the explosif /unit types fit?

I see them available for the unit and explosif but not the lava dome.

hunterst":2gpfrwrj said:
Ok thanks for that info.

If i need to replace a dropout do the explosif /unit types fit?

I see them available for the unit and explosif but not the lava dome.

As far as I know they're all exactly the same on all the frames. Something makes me think that there were two versions of the dropout though, the later ones being improved in some way. I'll look into it......

*Edit* Ok - the only difference is that the later (after 2006) versions have a set screw to set chain tension and to prevent the drive side pulling forwards under load. This set screw is threaded into the dropout and pushes forwards against the frame - later (2010-11) have a different frame design at the dropout and the set screw is threaded into the frame and pushes backwards against the slidey bit..

cmpht__55289.jpg

You'll want one of these?

Latest posts

Back