Show us your homemade tools

FST4RD":2830ft2m said:
Hahaha I have something similar except I have an old set of handlebars I do that with. :D

i'm not alone .. in fact I have 3 Reynolds 501 handlebars for various leverage jobs.

I've posted pic before but this is my truing stand based on Roger Musson's book. Also made a nipple driver.

bikejuly11001-1.jpg

bikejuly11005-1.jpg

bikejuly11002-1.jpg

paddlingpool":3cdis217 said:
MADJEZ":3cdis217 said:
Homemade headset cup remover, helps to have a Dad who's a
retired engineer.

Used it today, works a treat. Cost me a cup of tea.

24205533.jpg

What size copper piping did you use?

At the current cost of copper you might be cheaper buying a real one :)

JediPaddler":1jwszypi said:
I've posted pic before but this is my truing stand based on Roger Musson's book. Also made a nipple driver.

bikejuly11001-1.jpg

bikejuly11005-1.jpg

bikejuly11002-1.jpg

That is fantastic. Might have a go myself at one.

WD Pro":1zeelerh said:
Headset press from my post above in use :

DSC06421.jpg

Worked a treat :cool:

Crown race tool made from two pieces of plastic plumbing pipe :

DSC06463.jpg

I sleeved the end to help stop it splitting and chamfered it a bit internally :

DSC06466.jpg

So it fits a king race perfectly :

DSC06469.jpg

Also worked a treat :cool:

WD :D

Hmmmm, really like the look of that....... :cool:

What are the bearings for inbetween the washers and nuts, was it costly to make?

Really interested in this as I have a Chris King headset on its way to me and have never fitted an expensive headset before and want to do it right, and yours looks the perfect tool for the job :D

Thanks for the comments :cool:

This is probably a better picture of the bits :

DSC06416.jpg

Yes, the bits were quite cheap :

• M10 Stainless nuts : pennies (and I already had them in my stash - check eBay)
• M10 Stainless washers : pennies (already had as above)
• M10 Stainless studding : I think about a fiver off eBay (for three lengths)
• 2 x thrust washers : £2 each of eBay
• The ally bits and large stainless washers : I would have made these myself but as I have lost access to a lathe :-( I used the services of broardy (he's posted above), but I got them with a batch of stuff so I couldn't comment on individual cost, you had better contact him directly ;-)

I (like most things :LOL:) probably over thought it but things I considered :

• Long ally bodies to provide even / parallel pull by location on the studding.
• Close tolerance on the bore to help above.
• Close tolerance on the OD to suit the ID of the King - better location.
• Stainless washers on the ally parts so the Ti didn't dig in (use without for ally headsets so as not to damage ano).
• Thrust washers on the ends so the turning motion of the shaft nuts doesn't rotate the cups before they start to bite in the frame - it would be rude for the King logo not to face perfectly forward ... :LOL:
• Double nut on the top locked together so I could use a socket on the wrench (less chance of slipping and dinging the top tube) - I will get these tig welded next time I have some done.
• Single nut on the bottom - this is the one I tightend with a ratchet ring spanner, always pull away from the frame ;-)

The crown race press is made from offcuts. If I remember rightly the main piece is imperial and the collar is metric. By chance they are a near perfect fit so a bit of glue bonds them solid. The cap is to try and top the top splitting when you whack it (it worked). I used a rubber dead blow hammer.

Hope that helps :D

WD :D

FST4RD":2e6j31ug said:
Hahaha I have something similar except I have an old set of handlebars I do that with. :D

I prefer the vacuum cleaner tube ( long one) - works a treat for Bottom Bracket removal :LOL:

Back