BIKE WEIGHT: LB's to ST's or KG's or G's

Weighing Scales, Hanging type (What the trade use)

Decent hanging Weighing Scales aren't cheap though at £70 + vat + delivery, so something like £100 for "trade type" scales:

235%206s.jpg

I would buy the Salter Scale Model MSKN04208010000 as it weighs upto 25 kg = 55 lbs, more then enough, adequate enough for even the most heaviest DH MTB. Looks like it even comes with a hook to mount your front wheel onto, so the only real issue is where to mount the weighing scale high enough (Approx 2.5m's from floor), and to something solid enough (That could be alot harder then you think!).

The next weighing scales model below is the MSKN03008010000, but this only weighs upto 10 kg = 22 lbs, the vast majority of MTB's are heavier then this, and if idiots used this scale, they'd think all MTB's weighed about 22 lbs!

http://www.salterbrecknell.org/main.asp ... ging+scale

http://evans-scales.co.uk/main/scales_w ... w=7&prd=93

ZIP TIE weight...... Zip ties have grown in popularity on MTB's due to:
~ Zip ties on front suspension fork legs to measure fork travel during riding & sag testing
~ Hydraulic brake routing and
~ Large down tubes with no allen key mounts to bolt a crud catcher to, etc. So how much do they weigh? Can't be much since nobody has launched, wait for it, ultralight zip ties!

Well more seriously I wondered how much zip ties weigh, obviously any excess length is cut off, so as an average I'd say:
1 trimmed zip tie = 1 GRAM approx

I weighed two full length zip ties on electrical scales:
DSC00212.JPG

Small headed zip tie (FULL LENGTH, NOT CUT DOWN) = < 1 gram approx
DSC00210.JPG

Big headed zip tie (FULL LENGTH, NOT CUT DOWN) = 3 grams approx
DSC00211.JPG

When cut down:
Small headed zip tie (CUT DOWN) = < 1 gram approx
Big headed zip tie (CUT DOWN) = 1 gram approx

So to conclude, I wouldn't be worried about the weight of zip ties, even with front & rear hydraulic routing, zip ties on front suspension fork legs (I believe most air shocks these days come supplied with a rubber O ring to measure travel/sag!), even with large full length zip ties for your down tube crud catcher, the total weight of zip ties:
20 grams approx

Here's mine hanging from my daughters swing :

8a18d99c.jpg

They are remote control and will run off battery or mains via a dc adaptor, I hasten to add I didn't pay for them and they were not bought for weighing bikes :D

They added quite a chunk of weight to my bike compared to the house scale method :-(

WD :D

Back