On-One 456...

PhilStone

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well, after giving up on hoping for a nice affordable steel retro frame I decided to start looking for something modern but with a bit of retro feel to it, discovered On-One and managed to find a late 2009 frame in dark blue at a very reasonable price along with a nice set of Mavic Crossride disc wheels..

Landed in Jersey on Wednesday and finally finished building it this afternoon...

Spec:

Frame: On-One 456 (labelled Inbred as its one of the early ones)
Forks: Pace RC41 150mm Factory Fighter

Stem: Easton EA70 50mm
Bars: USE Atom Caron Risers
Saddle: On-One Inbred
Seat Post: Gravity Dropper Descender

Chainset: Deore
Front Mech: XTR M952
Rear Mech: XTR M952
Shifters: XTR M952

Brake levers: XTR V M952
Brakes: Avid BB7
Cables: Jagwire/888

Rims: Mavic CrossRides
Hubs: Mavic
Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic EVO 2.25 / Racing Ralph EVO 2.4

Most of the parts came from my old MuniMula, interestingly the geometry of the two is very similar, apart from a slightly longer top tube.

Now for the pics:

P1030292.JPG

P1030294.JPG

P1030295.JPG

P1030296.JPG

P1030297.JPG

P1030298.JPG

P1030299.JPG

P1030300.JPG

Cheers

Phil

Nice bike dude (your seat post is nuts though ;) ) Same colour as your old muni-muna too :)

I'm very fond of the 456, which I'll be buying when I can afford it. What's good though is you mentioned it's similar to the Muni-mula which is good because I'm rebuilding my old one at the moment.

I imagine the ride is a bit more forgiving though compared to the alu muni-muna?

Whats wrong with the seat post? I love it, gives me flexibility without having to stop! And its ultra reliable unlike the new fangled hydraulic thingies :p

Not sure about the off road ride yet, will find that out tomorrow but yes it certainly should be more forgiving than the Mula... Its actually a bit darker than in the pictures... Really happy with it though :)

Nice bike, i just picked myself up an Inbred and I think that both 456s and Inbred are really nice rides. Especially considering how cheap they are!

It rides a beauty, just needs a slightly onger fork on the front which Tim is sorting out for mess we speak... Hopefully updated spec and photo's over the weekend..

Nice. I had an early 456 and was very surprised how good it was.

The only reason I no longer have it is because I upgraded to the carbon version, which is just great!

How much stiffer is the carbon version? One of my friends over here keeps going on about one but is concerned that it will be considerably stiffer than the steel and lose part of the appeal...

The carbon version is stiffer when pedalling but actually seems more forgiving in the rear end. It's quicker to react to pedal input and thus faster, but soaks up more bumps so its more comfortable, not to mention a good couple of pounds lighter.

I liked the geometry of my steel 456 but wanted to drop some weight, hence the move to the carbon one. Despite having the same angles, it is a much better riding bike, I don't know if this is because of the qualities of carbon fibre, or just because its so much lighter, I'm guessing its a combination of the two.

FYI, I run 140mm forks and reckon its spot on.

Back