KLEIN CABLE ROUTING

rascal

Senior Retro Guru
Alright guys,

I recently bought a Klein frame and have now got round to building it up, but the internal cabling looks to be a nightmare.

I know they have internal sheathing that usually runs longer than the last hole in the run, but mine does'nt appear to have these. It looks to have some plastic guides within the frame but these don't run out of the frame. :?

Any tips would be appreciated :D

Rascal

I havent tried this but this is what I plan to do on the Thimble-

1) piece of cotton
2) Tied to inner cable
3) vaccum cleaner (make a cone funnel out of something)
4) poke thread into front hole and block other holes with something (blutack?)
5) vacuum should (in theory) pull it through end hole
6) pull through cable...
7) pull through outer sheath sheath
:cool: da da!

Ive also heard that magnets work too.

Try it and see...

I think my Trimble uses full outer all the way through so i guess I will try a similar technique.

Go for it!

angle the frame so the exterior hole is vertically down (IE gravity assisted). slightly bend the cable so it'll hook the hole. place a magnet at the exit of the hole. after many wasted hrs can now feed a cable thru inside a few minutes... many thanks to carsten for above tip :D

Boys boys boys. Didn't you ever notice granma's device for threading needles?

Firstly place a loop of thin wire in the exit hole and then open it up inside the frame so that it is a big loop that fills the frame.

Then place the string / thread into the entry hole and angle the frame downwards as Scant suggests.

When you are absolutly sure the thread is way PASSED the exit hole, slowly pull the wire loop out. If you opened up the loop big enough the thread will be in it.

Ta daa!!

Hoovers! The mental images!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

adamgent":2315om4x said:
Hoovers! The mental images!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

yep, you can just imagine the beads of sweat and the swearing as the missus asks "want a cuppa love" :LOL: Oh the magic cup of tea :D

rascal":mqh9s232 said:
Alright guys,

I recently bought a Klein frame and have now got round to building it up, but the internal cabling looks to be a nightmare.

I know they have internal sheathing that usually runs longer than the last hole in the run, but mine does'nt appear to have these. It looks to have some plastic guides within the frame but these don't run out of the frame. :?

Any tips would be appreciated :D

Rascal

if the plastic liner is still inside of the frame first pull it out. it is likely that the part that stuck out of the frame broke off and you will have a hard time to get the cable routed through the liner and then out of the exit hole.
to pull it out carefully srew a wood screw into the liner at the cable entry. the liner widens at the end so it cannot slip into the tube. you may need some tries, if you screw it in too deep it will widen the liner and make it stuck. if the screw has grabbed the liner pull it out.

you cannot use that liner anymore if it is too short but it is not reccommended to leave the liner in the frame anyhow, it is only meant as help to route the cables and should be taken out then to make shifting easier. i only put the liners on the cables where they exit the frame to prevent them from rubbing on the frame. they only run a few centimeters inside the frame so they are fixed. the rear brake cable liner runs from the cable exit to the brake bridge.

atti_proto_carsten6.jpg

atti_proto_carsten8.jpg

if you re-run the shifter cables anyhow consider routing the left cable through the right entry hole and vice versa. as they need to exit the frame on the opposite side they will cross each other inside of the downtube. that way they will make a nice wide loop around the head tube (enhances shifting) and they will not rub on the head tube. if you like the front brake on the right lever you can route the brake cable around the head tube as well. look much cleaner as well imho...

1010S_S_Adroit51.jpg

:shock: get some full shots of that klein up int readers bikes section .

Is that one of those rare twisty grip seat post clamp ones :?:

retrobikeguy":38evqq75 said:
:shock: get some full shots of that klein up int readers bikes section .

Is that one of those rare twisty grip seat post clamp ones :?:

it is one of two or three pre-production MC2 Attitudes made. like the one in the 1994 catalog (that one is still in Gary Klein's personal collection). the production Attitudes had the normal seat post clamp and the few ZipGrip Pulse's that were made before they stopped production had the ZipGrips rubber coated.

here are more photos

http://fotos.mtb-news.de/fotos/showgall ... puser=1010

click on the thumb to enter the album and then on the thumb to enlarge the pic.

enjoy, carsten

Back