The 2011 Time Trial Season

Rode the Matlock 72" event using the '73 Dave Russell 'Old Skool' on 700c 'clinchers' etc. as usual and did my fastest 72" time of 28-09. This was my 4th 'qualifying ride' and I'm now 5th overall in the season's 'league table' of 72" gear events.

That was on the Tuesday. Saturday I rode the Holme Valley Wheelers 10 at Brotherton on the Buzz lo-pro with disc wheel, tubs, gears, tri-bars - and went 11 seconds slower! 28-20 :oops:

Mind you, it was blowing a near gale and everyone went back several minutes on their season's fastest so it wasn't to bad a ride - and I wasn't the slowest (for a change!)

Well done Paul. Have you got any more MG events lined up to try and get "on the podium"? My 10 mile test run tonight was cut short by a combination of fresh chip and seal resurfacing on the A62 and a bit of a downpour. One thing is for certain, the 50/18 bottom gear is no good into the wind so the 13-24 block is going on for Wednesday's effort.

If I get under 28 minutes I'll be very surprised. The result will be posted here on the night unless I collapse straight afterwards!

Mark.

So, just done my first race for 15 years - the Elmet CRC Open 10 out at Tadcaster (that's the Yorkshire home of John Smith's beer).

With a pre-race 'phone home for encouragement from the family and the support of Old Ned out on the course I managed to turn in my worst ever 10 mile time trial performance. :oops:

It was 14 seconds slower than my first ever 10 (the previous personal worst) at the tender age of 19 in 1984. The old MKM was willing but my lungs were bursting and the leg muscles screaming as I tore along (ha-ha) at 21mph. I can only get better from here on in - surely.

The time? 27-50. No excuses, it was a fine evening, I was just rubbish.

Mark.

Mark, you do yourself an injustice. That was a good performance for a first ride back, riding 'Old Skool' (with a rubbish selection of gears!). It was hard evening with the wind and the course isn't a fast one by any means. I reckon you did OK.

However, the fact that the Youth event was won by a 15 year old in a time over 5 minutes faster sort of brings you back to reality, doesn't it?

Roll on next season!

Old Ned":tyy0ahq3 said:
However, the fact that the Youth event was won by a 15 year old in a time over 5 minutes faster sort of brings you back to reality, doesn't it?

Thanks Paul. :roll: I was just getting over the humiliation and now I'll have to start all over again. At least you didn't mention the 14 year old girl who beat me by 3 and a half minutes.... Doh!

I'll enter some more events before the end of the season, even the East Bradford 15. What a weird distance that is! If I don't get a ride so be it.

Mark.

daccordimark":rgnnftkk said:
Old Ned":rgnnftkk said:

Thanks Paul. :roll: I was just getting over the humiliation and now I'll have to start all over again. At least you didn't mention the 14 year old girl who beat me by 3 and a half minutes.... Doh!

I'll enter some more events before the end of the season, even the East Bradford 15. What a weird distance that is! If I don't get a ride so be it.

Mark.

I nearly mentioned her - but thought better of it :twisted:

The fact that she is Lisa Brambani's daughter probably has some help towards her performance - and her Dad was pretty handy as well. It's all in the genes....................

Tell me what you might enter and I'll have a look myself.

Lisa Brambani! That takes me back to my early cycling days. I remember when she came on the scene, she sort of took over where Mandy Jones left off.

I feel slightly better knowing she is Lisa's daughter - a top junior with champion's genes.

Mark.

Tt

I (hopefully) have a bike on it's way to me and I'm wanting to test the waters in the world of tt-ing, based in Leeds, when's the next one happening? Have seen guys doing it on otley road before now..

Thanks

Old Ned":ohjok142 said:
Time to 'fess up about my ride in the 25 on Sunday! At least it didn't rain - but it BLEW! I didn't feel I got any help anywhere much and it's a bit exposed in that area between Thorne and Doncaster. I rode the Duralinox, just with drop bars, no tri-bars, and did a personal best - or rather a personal worst! Slowest ever 25 - 1.16.08. I think I was slowest overall, perhaps just beating a guy on a trike! Trouble is that I could hardly walk when I got off the bike back at the event HQ and ever since I feel as if I bruised my dangly bits :oops:

25 miles doesn't (and shouldn't!) seem as far as it did during this ride.

Got the Matlock 10 next Tuesday evening - back to 72" gear again.

Anyone else doing any TT'ing? I'm sure there must be.

You need to invest in some 177.5's PMP's ;)

Re: Tt

D▲NDY":2a7wbc26 said:
I (hopefully) have a bike on it's way to me and I'm wanting to test the waters in the world of tt-ing, based in Leeds, when's the next one happening? Have seen guys doing it on otley road before now..

Thanks

The TT season is pretty much coming to a close now as we move into the Hill Climb season. You can check the events on in Yorkshire by going to: http://cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Events/ ... fault.aspx and using the drop-down filters to select a month and District (Yorkshire for us) to see what's on. Closing dates are usually 2 weeks before the event so time is running out! I think the best bet now is to join a club and ride with them through the winter before riding club time trials when the season starts up again next year. Club time trials are cheaper and you can usually enter at the last minute too.

Mark.

Back