Gazelle Champion Mondial ATB

skolioza":hegrfbe9 said:
Hey Mel
beautyful bike :)

I'm wandering about stuff - never seen Shimano/Campa combination as oryginal equipment... Gazelle was selling framesets to indyvidual builds, or whole bikes? Or is it just Your indyvidual way to build this frame?

Cheers, Marcin

Marcin,

Gazelle offered them as frameset only, so you could build them up to your own vision, but going through the catalogues I see that in some years they also offered a full bike option with XT.

I think this Champy originally came with the full Euclid groupset. Probably a former owner weren't happy with the performance of the shifting, because when I got it the Gazelle had GS SRT600 and a STX rear mech fitted. Later 'blue colar' stuff.

I replaced the SRT600/STX combination by the period correct and reliable XTII thumbie/mech ensemble. The XTII mech shifts the Sedis chain over a 7s Maillard block. For cables I went with the same cables I used for the brakes. Result of this all: flawless shifting ...in index mode! XTII is great foolproof stuff. So in fact it is all Campy -including things I like as for example the bearings-, bar part of the shifting job.

Another important change I made to the initial build was replacing the ITM oversize bar/stem cockpit, by the more elegant T-bone stem and Tioga Prestige bar.

Stunning bike, never seen one before. Love the mix of Campy and Shimano. Very sleek.

Thanks for sharing this beauty :cool:

Cheers

Matt

Elev12k":2o2lqt5c said:
Thanks for the kind words people. The Gazelle is sitting here blushing now.

The Champion Mondial made its 1st appearance already in the 1984 race catalogue. The CM ATB's were individually crafted in Dieren by Gazelle's small race department. From an ex worker I understood Gazelle built only a handfull of them during a period of about 7 years. Basicly the only modifications through the years were that they went from flat crown fork to brazed unicrown, the gear cables moved to the toptube and a 2nd pair of bottle bosses was added. My Champy has all, so will be a later example.

That rareness will probably also the reason why you haven't encountered one before, Jamis Diablo.

I just found a pricelist of Gazelle 93 and the Champion Mondial ATB is still on there!
http://fivenineclimber.com/bikes/gazell ... celist.htm
I somehow think you already know this website...

Elev12k":c6fj0czu said:
Yes, I do know the website Ivo.

A fellow Retrobiker created a link with A LOT Gazelle racing brochures. I see that the last year the Champy ATB made its appearance in a catalogue was 1992.

http://jvs.webklik.nl/page/gazelle

thanks for that link! I'm on the hunt for a Champion Mondial roadbike, so always nice to read about these wonderful bikes!

A Champion Mondial should be easier to find ...and yes, they are wonderfull indeed. Good luck!

Back