New Project - Trek Fuel EX 8

Not yet Nick unfortunately. Missing a few bits like BB spacers and my pipe to bang the crown race down.

I thought I would let her get acquainted with her mate and hopefully we may get some strange coloured babies before the weekend is over...

5622453889_01b5d03453_b.jpg

Can't lay my hands on the camera at the moment so iPhone shot only for now.

Slowly coming together. Cannot get the rear brake off the Pace at the moment due to the fact I cannot get the insert out of the hose to pull it back through the frame. have got the wheels, rear mech, forks, bars, seat and bits on it but sadly the tyre is catching on the inside of the chainstay so slimmer tyres required.

This was a photo before lunch today and have been out all day so not had a lot of chance to do much.

5635226712_6e32c27803_b.jpg

5640845718_3396785117_b.jpg

Getting there. Needs new gear cables which have been ordered, Sram PitStop Flak Jacket, so should go with the colour scheme. Also tyre need replacing for something slimmer to stop rubbing on the chainstay.

The build's going well, but I can't help but feel the red spacers are a bit much. Carbon one's would break up the red a little and still look good...my opinion only of course. ;)

I'm running a pair of Panaracer Rampage 2.35's at the moment, nice tyres that seem slightly slimmer for a 2.35. Merlin have them at a good price for a pair.

Last year I ran the Panaracer 2.25 Racing Ralph's from Spring to the end of Summer and loved the tyre, they performed very well over all terrain, although obviously suffered when very wet and boggy.

be careful and keep an eye on the chain stays on the 2008 frame, they had a thing for snapping. The 2009 (like i have) had a beefed up rear end.
Mike

I will keep an eye on it, cheers for the heads up.

Spec list will be as follows when finished.

Frame: Trek Fuel EX8 2008 17.5"

Fork: Rockshox Revelation RLT Ti

Headset: Hope
Stem: Hope 70mm 25 deg rise
Handlebar: RaceFace Sixc Carbon Riser - 730mm
Grips: LizardSkins Peaty

Brakes: Hope Tech M4
Brake Pads: Hope Sintered
Brake Hoses: Hope Braided
Brake Levers: Hope Tech Levers

Shifters: SRAM X.0
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.0
Derailleur Cables: Sram PitStop Flak Jacket
Cassette: SRAM PG990 Redwin
Chain: KMC X9L
Cranks: RaceFace Atlas AM
Chainrings: RaceFace
Chainring bolts: RaceFace
Bottom Bracket: Hope External - Ceramic Bearings
Pedals: DMR Vault

Hub Skewers: Front Maxel, Rear Trek ABP
Rims: Mavic EX721
Hubs: Hope Bulb
Nipples: DT
Spokes: DT Competition SS Black
Tyres: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Snakeskin 2.25
Tubes: Schwalbe

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow
Seatpost: Ritchey Carbon Pro
Seatpost Binder: Hope QR

5656981830_ee25f89c69_b.jpg

All done thanks to help by mountainloz.

Issues are tyres need changing, should be sorted this week when they arrive and the front shifter has died due to broken springs in it. Ordered one so hopefully that will be sorted depending on how fast shipping is from the East.

lawson":iab85hcl said:
be careful and keep an eye on the chain stays on the 2008 frame, they had a thing for snapping. The 2009 (like i have) had a beefed up rear end.
Mike

Can you point me in the direction of some more info about this? I bought mine new in 2K8 and have on occasion beaten the **** out of the rear end on rocky, rooty descents - I'll check the frame later but I'm pretty sure it's not cracked.

EDIT: Never mind on that, found plenty of cracked frame stories, although a lot of them seem to be the result of crashes or rock impacts. Glad I have a 2K8 though, TREK just changed their warranty this year to exclude swingarms!

@ OP, I like your build very much, I chose the green option when I bought mine, and have always been happy with it, but that really looks special.

Back