Why do you ride/collect retro?

Engineering: I can buy top-of-the-line gear for bobbins.

Nostalgia: The burnt-out wages slaves never bought their Ferrari whereas I built mine. I ride the dream bike ( with the dream spec ) of my youth.

Practicality: Steel, hardtail, thumbies and make-your-own 7+8 speed cassettes and XTR V brakes.

Ride: [ homer] steel...mmmmmmm [ / homer ]

Is that enough to be going on with?

I don't do a paper round anymore.

You can get top end bikes\kit for quarter of there original price.

When a spotty sixteen year old says how he can get me some new bits for my bike. :?

Then I invite him out for a ride and kick his arse on my retro steed. :LOL:

Someone summed it up to me today - a good hardtail can be art, because it's taken beyond what is necessary to function. A full susser is always going to be nothing more than functional, because that's its design aim.

All my full suspenion or even front suspension bikes, have been good, the current Klein full sus is the most stable bike i've ridden. Yet if left with one bike, it'd be the Ritchey and it would still be fully rigid. Considering the lack of suspension, its capabilties are astounding. It defines what i determine to be a mountain bike and what mtb riding is about/feels like. :D

I only collect retro gear because I don't ever get around to using it!

I love my Yeti FRO and know her so well I don't want another bike. Besides, while I can still gain more benefit from an extra hour training each week, why waste money on new bike?

I nearly persuaded myself to buy a Merlin Ti earlier this year. But I didn't like their new graphics ...

Back